Whitfield Advantage II Auger Screw Not Turning - Motor Working. A Common Cause & Repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jforbes78

Dec 28, 2008
Seattle, WA
After extensive research on repairing Whitfield Advantage II augers, I have run across a common cause when the auger or feeder screw is not turning, but the motor is operating. I wanted to share my repair story as it seems this is happening to a lot of Whitfield owners. After the basic trial & error routines suggested such as cleaning, our feeder screw was still not turning. I took the screw out and there was not a jam. The motor was tested and was operating fine. I then removed the motor again and completely took it apart. Please be careful to note where the gears are located. It is best to take a picture before going any further. The gears were in good condition with no broken teeth. The cause was a worn down washer that was causing the motor to slip about 1/4 inch and jamming the gears. Please see this website as there is a photo of where the washer is. See approx midway through and read his story. http://www.butkus.org/whitfield_pellet_stove.htm I have seen a lot of sites stating this is a common issue, but it took a lot of research and combining of info in order to totally figure it out due to post titles not matching my exact issue. I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.