Whitfield Advantage II Burn Pot deterioration

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whitey76

Feb 14, 2010
Northwest PA
I have done a little digging prior to this post and had not come across any other comments regarding this.

The grate in the bottom of my burn pot is deteriorating on the middle 3 or 4 rods of the grate, primarily where the fire burns and the auger feeds the pelletes to. Is it normal for this to happen over time? I inherited this stove with the purchase of my house and this is only the second year of use by me. It was manufactured in 1991. Not sure if the burn pot had ever been previously replaced, but from review of comments I have found here it seems to have been. I say this since the size matches what the current burn pots available are, I believe 10 rods.

Anyway, I guess my questions still remain. Should I be experiencing this deterioration of my burn pot? Am I doing something to cause this? The stove generally runs at higher settings so I'm not sure if just the heat, over time, is causing the rod to deteriorate or not. I generally empty the ash pan once or twice a day and burn through a 40 lb. bag of Hamer's Hot Ones in about a day, give or take. I just would like to know if I should expect this all the time before I go and spend $140 for a new burn pot, or if there may be something I should do differently.

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance!

I've got a 1998 Advantage which is similar to yours. I do not have that problem but your stove is seven years older than mine. I'm not much help here but it seems logical that it could happen.

Dave,

Thanks for the response. If this is a common replacement part how often should I be expecting to replace this? I just don't want to be shelling out $140 every year for one. Seems lofty!

I did see from your site the availability of each of these (rods and laser cut base). Are you saying that you would reccomend the laser cut base over the rods?

Thanks!

I have the same thing in my Advantage II (made in sept 93)

I cut a piece of 1/8th inch thick stainless steel plate, drilled it with many many rows of holes and placed it into the burn pot over the little bars (that are erroded)

The little plate fits neatly in the bottom of the grate and fills the entire lower portion from side to side and front to back.

I did this Modification more to allow the nut shells a good place to sit and burn. This will also work fine with pellets too.

Just remove it when you clean things.

Or as Dave says, replace it with a new one.

I really had to make the mods to mine, so a new firepot would not do me any good.

Good luck and enjoy the stove.

Snowy

Thanks Snowy! It sounds like you may not know, due to your modifications, but do you have any input on the difference over the rodded burn pot over the laser cut?

Status
Not open for further replies.