Whitfield Advantage II Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tandem86

Sep 5, 2008
Mass
I have a Whitfield Advantage II insert serial #94256 (about 12 yrs old) and when you hit the start button all lights on the panel flash and then go off. Once and a while it does start and everything works fine. Just don't want to be stuck after a mid winter cleaning with it not starting. Any ideas would be great.
Thank You

Are we assuming that you are the original owner, and have the owners manual? If so, there should be a troubleshooting section. If not, you may want to contact the company to get one, and also talk to tech service.

tandem86 said:
Yes original owner and the manual is not helping

Well, either wait for possible help on this forum, or call company and talk to tech service...I think I'd make the call.

Most stoves run a diagnostic/system check as part of the start up cycle. This is to ensure that things are safe for beginning the ignition cycle. When something in the series is "amiss" you will get a code on the board, and that is what sounds like is happening.
One thing is could be is that you have a gasket that is failing (hopper, or front door) and the system is failing the vacuum test. There could also be an obstruction in the exhaust system.
I would call the company or reputable dealer for a quick answer to what that response is indicating.

That symptom is usually indicative of a bad control board. Check the fuse in the back. If you go looking for a new control board make sure you have your serial # with you. There were several models of advantage and some different revisions on the control boards. Don't be surprised if a new one is big $$$.

Yes fans start very breifly, than shut off.

Found this If I unplug the exhaust blower the unit powers on ???????? Maybe onto something here

Boy do you learn alot here..........

Sorry to say but 99.9% chance that Delta-T hit it right on the nose. I've serviced and sold tons of whitfields, and if the light blinks when you hit the start button then the board is almost always bad. Easy to change though, just plug-n-play.

Edit: When you call for parts or repair, be sure and check the model# closely, You probably have an Advantage II-T, I haven't seen any II's with an electronic control board. If the board has: Start, blower, heat output, auger buttons with 5 lights each at the blower and the heat output buttons, its a II-T

Status
Not open for further replies.