Whitfield Advantage II quiet auger motor question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

7bigjohn

Oct 13, 2008
Maple Valley, WA
Hi everyone. I have a very old Whitfield Advantage II insert. The control panel on it has knobs instead of buttons so I think it's been around for a while. It works well but the auger is inconsistant and noisey. I would like to replace the motor but would like to know if some are more quieter than others. can anyone point me to a decent, quiet auger motor that will fit my stove? Thank you.

You can also quiet that motor down by opening the gearbox and applying some more grease to the gears. Save even more $$. Also, the stop plate that keeps the motor from spinning...maybe fashion something over the metal so you do not have metal on metal...rubber hose cut in half or gasketing material works well

That's great advice. Thanks. I'll give it a try this weekend. Would you know what the proper kind of grease would be to use for this application? This is really great info because the Mrs. probably wont let me pull the trigger very soon on the new motor. It's running but not as well as it should. Thanks again for your help.

Any automotive style grease will work fine, I can still hear mine at times, even thou it's been greased and has a rubber stop, adding rubber on the stop will decrease the noise alot, if it works it doesn't need a motor, mines still going strong 12 yr's!

Status
Not open for further replies.