Whitfield Advantage II-T July 1993 year?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hogs

Feb 10, 2010
Halifax Nova Scotia
Hi guys, Been having a few problems, anyways one that I never mentioned yet is that the air damper when I pull it all the way out or push it all the way in...It really doesn`t make much difference in the flame at all abit...But not much right now its about 1/4 inch pulled out and runs fine on low seped... but if I pull it out further it really doesn`t change the flame much at all... any ideals?

btw I think from the factory it says 2 1/4 inch out is the starting poin but mine needs to be almost all the way in??

Thanks

Sounds like the exhaust passage is partially blocked. Anytime I've seen a damper not do anything that's been the issue.

When was the last time you removed the two side fireback panels and vacuumed out all the fly ash that collects on the ash cleanout columns.

I own a stove just like this and it was totally crammed with ash when I bought it. The fellow I got it from said it was not burning well. Hmmmmmm DUUUUUHHHH I wonder why ????

Give these areas a look see.

Just remove the two plates on the inside of the firebox that retain the side firebrick panels and remove the brick pieces.

You will then see the columns that collect the ash.

Just suck all that out and the stove will draft far better.

Snowy

Thanks for the replies...the two side firebrick panels and vacuumed out all the fly ash that collects on the ash cleanout columns. That has all been done I have had this stove for the past 10 plus years btw.. this damper problem, not sure it is a problem though just started in the last year or so...

Now having saiud that the exhaust fan has not been clean for the past year, but before that it wasn`t cleaned for the past 8 plus years never had that problem So not sure what it could be....

Hogs,

I've got an Advantage Plus which is the same as the II T expect I have a solid window.

I have my air damper almost all the way in also plus my trim screw is turned 1/8 th of the way for minus combustion.

If I followed the directions in my manual of 2 1/2 inches, it would be way too much air and my fire would be blown out.

my trim screw is turned 1/8 th of the way for minus combustion. may sound stupid but I have never adjusted any of that..where is that adjustment at?

Thanks

Mine is a 1998 model so it may be different. I have a small white trim screw (2) on the front of the curcuit board where you turn on the stove and and set the pellet feed, etc.

On screw is for combustion, the other is for pellet feed.

I'm not any expert, but, I'm wondering if maybe He's got a leaky door seal(vacuum leak) as long as he feels the exhuast system (fan and flu) is clean and okay? flame not responding. bjr23

I think my biggest problem on these pellet stoves , even though I have had this for a long time, never messed around with it....This system works on a Vacuum, Neg/ Posiitve system I`m not sure... I am used to the wood stoves etc...

Maybe If I can get in me head how these units operate , I may have a better chance to understand How they work, Then know more on How to fix em...LoL

I set my 2T up last weekend to run on Hazelnut shells.

I had to tweek the trimmer on the exhaust blower up some to get a little more air available.

Messing with the draft rod seems to help a little at times depending on the particular setting of the fuel feed.

Different fuels burn at different rates and need different draft settings.

Now if you have full "tall" chimney on these stoves and can get a real draft column going, the amount of change in flow with the damper control will be a lot different than with a direct vent setup.

I ran mine with a 2 foot horizontal pipe on the blower housing.

I can tell the difference in the flame, espcecially when starting up on pellets.

I have though about installing a combustion "Booster" fan on the thing to help really Turbo charge the little beggar.

One more thing, yank the exhaust blower out and clean out the plenum behind the fireback area..

You could have a large buildup of fly-ash just before the blower.

The blower does not have enough suction to move a lot of heavy ash so it precipitates out along the way. Rhe bulk of it falls out oif the air column in the ash traps but quite a bit still gets through to the fan housing.

Snowy

When ya say One more thing, yank the exhaust blower out and clean out the plenum behind the fireback area..

After I take that exhaust motor out...Can one see up inside towards the firebox tunnel too see if theres ash that way?

Yeah A little Turbo action would speed things up especily upon start up mine I find a tad hard to start at times especily when the exhaust pipe is cold...

yes the plenum on the back of the firebox directs the flow of air from the two vents in the ash trap columns back towards the blower.

I seriously doubt that these things are flow tested and likely have some dead spots where the ash can fall out and pile up.

Removing the fan/impeller assembly should give you a great view of any accumulated ash deposits.

This is why I use the 120 PSI air from my compressor and direct it right up into the passages azt the top of the ash trap columns.

Just be sure you have the exhaust bloowe on when you do this or ya gonna get a lot of dust in the room.

Another reason why I like the direct vent set up vs. the tall stack.

My Old Earth Stove has a stack that goes up/out and up again to over the roof crest line.

That sucker collects tons of fly ash and its a PITA to get it cleaned out.

We have discussed the merits of tall stacks vs direct vent before but ya can't beat the ease of cleaning the direct vent shorty pipe.

Snowy

Thanks for that info... Yeah my stove is in the TV Room down the basement T coming Directly off the back of the stove, one 4 foot vertical pipe, 90 deg. 3 feet straight out through the wall with a 45 deg on the end..Its really Sick how easy it is to clean..lol

many cleaning and trouble shooting info is in the yellow sticky pages at the top of the pellet room with photos.

Ok so you removed the firebrick to clean. Did you remove the baffle behind the firebrick and clean behind them?
see photos in the help pages on top of the pellet room
Direct link here
http://www.hearthtools.com/parts/adavantageII_clean.htm

My 1999 2T doesnt do much when i use the damper, if i close it it gets real lazy flame and if i open in 1/2" it perk's right up, i leave mine maybe 1" out, nice flame, it's normal......unless you dont get a lazy flame
If your exhaust/combustion fan is getting slow it will effect the flame also.

cleaning behind the the 2 side brick baffles made a world of difference for mine. Make sure you take them off to clean because that ash is packed very tight behind them.

Status
Not open for further replies.