Whitfield Advantage II With two knobs board Ser No WH14604

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bjr23

Nov 2, 2009
Eastern WA
I had the stove on and was all warm taking a nap I woke up and something didn't sound right I checked the stove out and the convection blower wasn't runnin'. shut down stove and waited til it was cool. I took out convection fan and remove blade cage removed motor. It was froze up. I finally got it turning and sprayed some PB Blaster in it and got the turning and hooked it up to 120V and it spun just fine. Reinstalled and went over all the wiring and every thing looked fine. But now nothing, no light no fans, just nothing. I got 120V across No. 2&7. The wiring Diagram is one I got off this site, but I couldn't find it again tonite. This is a older two knob with slider switch and one push button board. The sheet I working off of says Whitfieild ser. No's 7401-18144 hand written. It's the same as the terminal strip in the stove. How do I get this thing to come alive again. bjr23

bjr23 said:
I had the stove on and was all warm taking a nap I woke up and something didn't sound right I checked the stove out and the convection blower wasn't runnin'. shut down stove and waited til it was cool. I took out convection fan and remove blade cage removed motor. It was froze up. I finally got it turning and sprayed some PB Blaster in it and got the turning and hooked it up to 120V and it spun just fine. Reinstalled and went over all the wiring and every thing looked fine. But now nothing, no light no fans, just nothing. I got 120V across No. 2&7. The wiring Diagram is one I got off this site, but I couldn't find it again tonite. This is a older two knob with slider switch and one push button board. The sheet I working off of says Whitfieild ser. No's 7401-18144 hand written. It's the same as the terminal strip in the stove. How do I get this thing to come alive again. bjr23
there is a lot more to the control board than just pellet feed

the feed is controled by time on and delay time. on a control board there are a lot of components that control this.
it is best not to mess around with the board unless you are an electrical engineer and understand what each component on the board does.

The plan at that time was to bypass the board completely. I'm sure there would have been some adjusting of a auxillary timer and I never had a chance to do that. I was planning on running both fans at high RPM's and trying to adjust the pellet feed timer, but all that never came to be. Since this morning I was able to trouble shoot down to the Hi temp switch and it just did get replaced. Now the bad new is the convection fan wants to keep spinning with stove slider switch in the off position and it's dragging again, also. I'm not understanding the fan operation. Doesn't the fans turn off and stay off when the stove is cold and slider in the "off" position? How do the fans operate? bjr23

Udate. Now I'm finding the Low limit switch failed closed convection motor wants to keep running (stove cold). What's the chances of both switches failing at once? I've also got convection blower issues as it's still dragging after cleaning and oiling. I'll do more research and update as soon as I've found out what's going on here. bjr23

bjr23 said:
The plan at that time was to bypass the board completely. I'm sure there would have been some adjusting of a auxillary timer and I never had a chance to do that. I was planning on running both fans at high RPM's and trying to adjust the pellet feed timer, but all that never came to be. Since this morning I was able to trouble shoot down to the Hi temp switch and it just did get replaced. Now the bad new is the convection fan wants to keep spinning with stove slider switch in the off position and it's dragging again, also. I'm not understanding the fan operation. Doesn't the fans turn off and stay off when the stove is cold and slider in the "off" position? How do the fans operate? bjr23

there are two High limit switches depending on year of stove the early models one killed the power to the auger and the other killed the power to the control board.
and on some mid 1990 advantage stoves the high limits only killed the auger power.

the low limit (mounted on the combustion blower or exhaust housing.) is what turns both blowers off after it cools. Power is bypassed the low limit for the first 10 minutes after you push start for start up then then the low limit takes over.

so when the stove is cold the low limit should be open.
and both high limits should be ALWAYS closed.
see Understanding your pellet stoves Electrical and safety limit switches.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/13408/
this is also linked in the sticky pages at the top of the pellet room and the page on my sig line.

Did not see post number 3
if your convection blower failed your stove may have over heated and over heated the switches and or over heated the wires and connections.
so be sure to check all wires and connections. I dont know how many times this was the problems when I came in after someone replaced all switches and still could not get a stove to work right.

hearthtools said:
bjr23 said:

there are two High limit switches depending on year of stove the early models one killed the power to the auger and the other killed the power to the control board.
and on some mid 1990 advantage stoves the high limits only killed the auger power.

the low limit (mounted on the combustion blower or exhaust housing.) is what turns both blowers off after it cools. Power is bypassed the low limit for the first 10 minutes after you push start for start up then then the low limit takes over.

so when the stove is cold the low limit should be open.
and both high limits should be ALWAYS closed.
see Understanding your pellet stoves Electrical and safety limit switches.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/13408/

this is also linked in the sticky pages at the top of the pellet room and the page on my sig line.
Okay, I sincerly appreciate your help. What did the trick is when you stressed that the low limit position was on the combustion chamber. That didn't register with my train of thought of the High limit would be on the hotest part of the system (thus high temperature), the combustion chamber. The short version is I was all screwed up in that idea. The low limit IS on the combustion chamber and the High limit IS on the convection chamber. I had the wires on the terminal strip hook wrong and I had installed a high limit switch on the low limit position. I also removed the convection blower one more time and OILED with motor oil not PB Blaster and moved the squirrel cage fan a little to the end of the motor shaft as I'd it a little too close to the housing and it was rubbing a screw head on the motor. I reread the manual and it's as you said on the limit switches location. As always the enemy was me. I'm stubborn and I try to go back and reread and comprehend the manusals until I find where I went off track. Thankyou. bjr23

Status
Not open for further replies.