Whitfield advantage optima 3 questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler G

Feb 10, 2011
Eastern MT
I have 2004 Whitfield advantage optima 3 pellet stove. I'm having an issue with the stove not feeding pellets fast enough. The stove runs fine on low, barely sufficient on medium and terrible on high. I've got the damper shut down as tight as possible and still not getting enough pellets. I pulled the auger and got that all cleaned out. I put a spacer in on the auger motor to take the play out of the shaft going in to the gear box. I've even changed out fuel source, doesn't seem to help. I'm very disciplined about the stove being cleaned. If anything in the past it was always an issue burning the stove on high and not getting enough air moving through the stove, always a little pellet build up in the morning. I live in South Eastern Montana so the stove gets a good workout in the winter. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tyler

on the lower section of the control panel face there is a drop down hatch..if you open it you will find some calibration buttons...one you can use to increase the feed rate a bit..this may help.

Have you checked the timing of the auger motor to see if changing the feed actually makes much of a change in the timing?

Send a PM to Wood Heat Stoves providing the make, model, serial number of the stove , and your email requesting a service manual. Dave Gault might be able to provide you with the correct manual.

I hope that you verified that the auger was securely attached to the motor and that it is properly positioned in its flight.

I have the hatch flipped down with the calibrations buttons. Can you explain on how to speed up the auger. I understand the heat and fan calibration but don't see how to change the auger speed. Yeah the motor is secured to the auger and properly positioned in its flight. The auger takes one minute forty seconds to make a complete revolution.

touch the calibrate button until the heat LED's are lit, and then press the red button "heat" and watch as more LED's are lit...this is increasing the feed rate...if you continue to hit the heat button it will cycle back through to lower setting and so forth....good luck

Some times various control board reset to factory default. This usually requires a specific sequence of button pushing and sometimes pulling the plug will do it. I'm not talking specifically your controller, just in general.

What is the proper revolution per minute on the auger motor? Thanks for your time and input greatly appreciated. Okay I found that info in the book, 1 RPM, I'm still at 1min 25 seconds, still can speed the auger up some. Not enough adjustment to get to 1 RPM. Is the auger motor wearing out, time to replace? On the caliberations you can also adjust the amount of air the combustion fan is pulling through the stove?

Tyler, the original owners manual for your stove is still available from Lennox-Whitfield here:

http://www.whitfield.com/resources/manual/Lennox_Hearth_Advantage_Optima_Installation_775097.pdf

On page 22 there's this note about trim of blowers and fuel feed:

NOTE – If the fuel feed trim or combustion air trim

needs to be adjusted, contact an authorized Lennox

Hearth Products Technician to calibrate internal software.

It is recommended that the damper be used to

fine-tune your stove to your particular fuel and installation

configuration (see Damper Adjustment on page 12

and Damper Adjustment Guideline on page 26).

Thanks for the help adjusting the auger speed seems to have helped. Time to order an replacement motor. This site is awesome, I love being able to fix stuff myself, with the right advice!!

Tyler

Status
Not open for further replies.