Whitfield Advantage "Plus" Insert - incomplete combustion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bag_a_day

Jan 27, 2023
Ohio
I bought a Whitfield Advantage "Plus" Insert, dated around 1990, used for $250 from someone else who also bought it used. The unit mostly works well.

However, I am having trouble with it burning a bit rich - the ash produced is dark grey and it seems it's producing too much ash. (It needs cleaned out after 3 or 4 bags go through it.) Even on the highest "5" setting, it still is producing quite a bit of ash. On the lowest settings "1" to "3" there can be a bit of visible smoke from the exhaust. On the "5" setting the exhaust looks clean.

I am also getting a bit of black build-up (creosote I think) on the glass.

I am guessing the air intake is dirty/needs cleaned out. How do I do that? Any manuals or sticker labels on this thing were gone long ago.

Other than that the unit works well and is capable of heating my 880 sq ft house, goes through about a bag a day when the weather is 30 F or so. The house is a bit drafty in spots.

I bought a Whitfield Advantage "Plus" Insert, dated around 1990, used for $250 from someone else who also bought it used. The unit mostly works well.

However, I am having trouble with it burning a bit rich - the ash produced is dark grey and it seems it's producing too much ash. (It needs cleaned out after 3 or 4 bags go through it.) Even on the highest "5" setting, it still is producing quite a bit of ash. On the lowest settings "1" to "3" there can be a bit of visible smoke from the exhaust. On the "5" setting the exhaust looks clean.

I am also getting a bit of black build-up (creosote I think) on the glass.

I am guessing the air intake is dirty/needs cleaned out. How do I do that? Any manuals or sticker labels on this thing were gone long ago.

Other than that the unit works well and is capable of heating my 880 sq ft house, goes through about a bag a day when the weather is 30 F or so. The house is a bit drafty in spots.
I had a Whitfield Advantage Insert and a free standing smaller Whitfield in the 90’s. I believe the only difference between the Advantage and II t was the Advantage had one one piece of glass where as the IIt had three pieces. I don’t remember anything in the manual about doing a deep clean like they recommended with the Harman stoves.

Anyways, here is a link to manuals that may help you.

I had a Whitfield Advantage Insert and a free standing smaller Whitfield in the 90’s. I believe the only difference between the Advantage and II t was the Advantage had one one piece of glass where as the IIt had three pieces. I don’t remember anything in the manual about doing a deep clean like they recommended with the Harman stoves.

Anyways, here is a link to manuals that may help you.

"doing a deep clean like they recommended with the Harman stoves."
Don't really understand that, but I would rather clean any Harman, especially a P series, than any Whit.

"doing a deep clean like they recommended with the Harman stoves."
Don't really understand that, but I would rather clean any Harman, especially a P series, than any Whit.
What I meant by that is that I don’t remember any mention of cleaning the combustion or distribution fans on the Whitfield.

DO you understand how your draft adjustment works? That would be a good start.

I found the manual (helpfully shared by another poster above), and yes, I think that is the problem. The damper adjustment is currently at 1 3/4". The factory setting is 2" for Advantage Plus (2 1/4" for Advantage II).

I checked the intake pipe and it is flowing very free and clear; I cleaned it out anyway but there wasn't much to clean out.

I don't really understand what the draft adjustment should be, though. Unless I have the draft adjustment pulled pretty far out, it will not stay lit at the #1 setting.

Reactions: Mt Bob
I found the manual (helpfully shared by another poster above), and yes, I think that is the problem. The damper adjustment is currently at 1 3/4". The factory setting is 2" for Advantage Plus (2 1/4" for Advantage II).

I checked the intake pipe and it is flowing very free and clear; I cleaned it out anyway but there wasn't much to clean out.

I don't really understand what the draft adjustment should be, though. Unless I have the draft adjustment pulled pretty far out, it will not stay lit at the #1 setting.
I remember on my Advantage Plus insert I always had to adjust the damper. I would set it at the recommended distance and mine would get too much air on the heat setting 1 or 2. So I would move it in and it would burn ok, but then when I would increase the heat to 3, there was not enough combustion air.

In summary, I always had to adjust the damper when changing heat settings. Per the manual, once you had it adjusted based on the pellets you were using, you didn’t have to adjust it when changing heat settings. Also, the glass window would start getting dirty within 24 hrs. That was a given.

I finally sold my Whitfield’s and went with two Harman’s. I never looked back and glad I did.

Reactions: Mt Bob
Also be aware the stop collar may have been removed from that rod, and not put in same or right place,

Also be aware the stop collar may have been removed from that rod, and not put in same or right place,
Yep - I moved it back to the factory position which worked better. I ended up adjusting it to 1 3/4" (factory is 2").
I remember on my Advantage Plus insert I always had to adjust the damper. I would set it at the recommended distance and mine would get too much air on the heat setting 1 or 2. So I would move it in and it would burn ok, but then when I would increase the heat to 3, there was not enough combustion air.

In summary, I always had to adjust the damper when changing heat settings. Per the manual, once you had it adjusted based on the pellets you were using, you didn’t have to adjust it when changing heat settings. Also, the glass window would start getting dirty within 24 hrs. That was a given.

I finally sold my Whitfield’s and went with two Harman’s. I never looked back and glad I did.
This is exactly what I am experiencing!

On 1 or 2, it works fine when at 1 3/4".

On 3 or 4, it needs to be out at 2", or it gets sooty. (I watch the exhaust pipe and if I can see the smoke, I know something is wrong)

It still is producing dark grey ash (and a lot of it)) but that may be due to the pellets I'm using. When watching the window, you can see the sparks flying from the pellets and those are simply accumulating enough that the upper tray needs cleaned out every 2 - 3 bags or so.

I do have it dialled in a lot better now, I can get plenty of heat on 3 or 4 and cut back my consumption to less than a bag a day. I have no idea the prior owner was not losing their mind - his settings would have required 2+ bags a day on the 5 heat setting (I am guessing this is why he sold it for $250)

Burning wood creates ash. If no ash was left in stove, then most your heat is going out the flue. Firefly's are normal in most stoves. Dirty glass is normal in all stoves. Plenty of vids on youtube about proper flame look, On old style stoves like yours, regularly changing the draft adjustment is normal, as Cincinnati said. Your stove is not "plug n play" like some.

Well, I have it mostly taken care of, with one exception: the burn pot often ends up only burning on one side. So unburnt pellets accumulate on one side, and the fire burns all the way down to the burn grate on the other side.

After a day or so of use, the burn pot is usually "full" of black looking ashes and little ash filters down through the grate at the bottom of the ash pot. Is this normal?

Well, I have it mostly taken care of, with one exception: the burn pot often ends up only burning on one side. So unburnt pellets accumulate on one side, and the fire burns all the way down to the burn grate on the other side.

After a day or so of use, the burn pot is usually "full" of black looking ashes and little ash filters down through the grate at the bottom of the ash pot. Is this normal?
You should stir the burn pot a couple times/day if possible. This helps a lot. Occasionally burning on one side would happen but when I stirred the pot, it would help the pellets burn across the entire pot. Do you have the scrapper tool that came with the stove? That works well.

You should stir the burn pot a couple times/day if possible. This helps a lot. Occasionally burning on one side would happen but when I stirred the pot, it would help the pellets burn across the entire pot. Do you have the scrapper tool that came with the stove? That works well.
Yes I do and stirring the pot does indeed help. I just wasn't sure if this was something you're "supposed" to do.

How full should the burn pot get?

Yes I do and stirring the pot does indeed help. I just wasn't sure if this was something you're "supposed" to do.

How full should the burn pot get?
I’m going from memory (25 years ago) but I think 1/2 full because there are holes near the top, correct?

This stove has a very shallow ash pan, burn grate to pan bottom maybe 2 inches. I clean mine out daily, and have for many years.
Ash buildup will muck up your draft quickly. I think this model was suited for 'light duty', a den or chalet, perhaps. Great little heat
machine, though. Treat it right.

Thanks for all the helpful input. Daily cleanings of the ash pan seem like the best way to me too. (If keeping it on 1 or 2, you can get away with maybe every 2 days.) The rest of it needs cleaned out every ~ 2 days (if one is burning 1 bag a day).

Unfortunately, the Whitfield's manual doesn't have any "recommendations" on this and seems to imply something closer to weekly cleanings is necessary. My unit is very used, so I have no idea if it's operating to "spec" or not.

Fully agree about light duty - I have an 880 sq ft house so it fits just right, particularly if I don't care about the most distant rooms getting a bit cold.