Whitfield Advantage Plus problem (low limit switch??)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

markreiss

Nov 16, 2014
Connecticut
I've been using my Whitfield Advantage Plus Freestanding Pellet Stove every winter since 1997 with absolutely no problems whatsoever. I've been running it for the last month or so this year with no problems until this morning. Last night, we turned the stove off like normal (turned off the auger) and it properly shut off about 20 minutes later once it cooled down. This morning when I went to start the stove (press the start button), all 10 lights lit up for about a second (all 5 for "heat output" and all 5 for "blower") and then they immediately all turned off again. During this time, NO blowers or anything actually turned on (or even attempted to turn on). I unplugged the unit, waited a while, then plugged it back in. As soon as it plugged in, I saw the #1 light (on the "heat output" display) temporarily light up, but then immediately go back off. It does this every time I unplug and then plug it back in, so I'm guessing that's normal and probably just an indicator that the control panel is receiving power. I then tried pressing the start button again, and the exact same thing happens again as above (all 10 lights turn on for about a second, and then turn off, with no power to the fans/blowers).

Upon researching these forums, someone suggested removing the control panel board and making sure the start button was properly pressing the button on the circuit board. All that appeared to work properly and the circuit board is still in very good condition (no shorting/corrosion/heat marks, etc.). Upon more research, many people said they had problems with the low limit switch and to try bypassing it to see if that works. However, I did not have the symptoms normally explained for this, as my stove would not start up at all (whereas people in the forums said it would start and run for 20-30 minutes and then shut down if this was the problem). I tried bypassing it anyway to see what would happen, and sure enough, the stove starts up perfectly fine, all the blowers/heat settings/auger all work properly. But, my understanding is that when I bypass it this way, the stove will not automatically turn off once the fire burns out, and I'll have to manually unplug it.

I tested the low limit switch with my multi-meter for continuity, and it had no continuity, which is as it should be when the stove is off, as it's my understanding this switch is "normally open" and only closes when it reaches 140 degrees. So, I bypassed the switch to get the stove burning hot, and then tested it again, and it then it was closed (had continuity) when the fire was burning hot... so this leads me to believe the low limit switch is operating normally (open when there is no heat and then closed when there is heat). So my question is then, WHY does the stove not start properly, unless I bypass the low limit switch? Or, is this actually a symptom of a bad low limit switch, and should I go ahead and order a new one to replace it with? To me, it almost sounds like it's not properly entering the mode where it should run for 20-30 minutes when the switch is OPEN (to wait for the stove to heat up).

I appreciate any help and advice you can offer. If you need any additional information or pictures, please let me know.

Those switches do go bad. May have been connector to it slightly corroded and not making proper connection? Been lots of hot cold cycles for the switch and that areas connections. Around $15. Could try hook up switch and give a try again. Just be ready to get a new one. Good luck and Welcome

I would guess if it started after jumping switch,your board is dying.Possible bad cap,as it stays running after warm.Could try heating backside of board with hair dryer next time it will not start.

It appears my low limit switch it operating normally (open when cold, closed when hot). I think the 30 minute timer relay must be dead since there is no power to the blowers at startup. Is there any way to replace this timer controlled relay without replacing the entire control board? I found this post where someone had a similar problem and they did the same thing I decided to do this morning, which was to wire a manual switch that when in the on position would "jumper" across the low limit switch, giving the blowers power... then once the stove heats up after a couple minutes, I turn my manual switch off, and the stove continues to run (since the low limit switch is now engaged from the heat into the closed position). This now allows my stove to run properly, and when the fire goes out and it cools down, it still properly shuts off.

I am considering my own solution for the no booster on start up situation by placing an ac switch in parallel with the low limit disk, turning it on at start up and off after stove warms up to ensure proper shut down.

Is there any way to replace this timer controlled relay without replacing the entire control board?

You could open the control board and take a look at what is written on the relays on the pcb. A couple of years ago I did that on my stove and took some pictures of it.
Your Advantage Plus and my Quest Plus have different control boards, but since they both belong to the same generation ( late 90s ), the relays on your pcb might also be manufatured by Zettler.
We see two Zettler AZ941-1CT-48DE relays on my pcb... one is the bypass relay and the other is for the igniter. Datasheet here for details: http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/283899/AZETTLER/AZ941.html

DSC01301.JPG

Welcome to the forum markreiss - glad you got some good info to work with!

Status
Not open for further replies.