Whitfield Advantage shutdown after 30 minutes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mje000

Oct 21, 2015
New Park PA
I have an Whitfield Advantage pellet stove that has run like a dream for 10+ years. Last year the stove started running for 30 minutes and shutting down. I have replace bit limits switches cleaned the stove from top to bottom. I have also sent away the control board to have it rebuilt. The stove still does the same thing runs for 30 minutes and stops. Currently I have the Exhaust fan limit switch bypassed and the stove runs continually now but at least I can use it just need to unplug to stop the stove. Any help would be appreciated......

The stove still does the same thing runs for 30 minutes and stops. Currently I have the Exhaust fan limit switch bypassed and the stove runs continually now but at least I can use it just need to unplug to stop the stove. Any help would be appreciated......

Welcome to the forum, that the stove shuts down after 30 minutes, indicates a low limit switch ( Exhaust fan limit switch? ) that is stuck open, or the wiring to the low limit switch could be interrupted somewhere.
The service manual will be useful in your troubleshooting. I have attached it below for download. On page 6 you can see the wiring diagram. Please take your time to study the service manual. It has many useful informations.
Click on the icon to download pdf

Attachments

• Lennox_Hearth_AdvantageII-T_AdvantageIII_TECH_TRAINING.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,115
I have an Whitfield Advantage pellet stove that has run like a dream for 10+ years. Last year the stove started running for 30 minutes and shutting down. I have replace bit limits switches cleaned the stove from top to bottom. I have also sent away the control board to have it rebuilt. The stove still does the same thing runs for 30 minutes and stops. Currently I have the Exhaust fan limit switch bypassed and the stove runs continually now but at least I can use it just need to unplug to stop the stove. Any help would be appreciated......
Welcome to the forum, that the stove shuts down after 30 minutes, indicates a low limit switch ( Exhaust fan limit switch? ) that is stuck open, or the wiring to the low limit switch could be interrupted somewhere.
The service manual will be useful in your troubleshooting. I have attached it below for download. On page 6 you can see the wiring diagram. Please take your time to study the service manual. It has many useful informations.
Click on the icon to download pdf

I have replaced the Exhaust fan limit switch twice and still does the same thing. I have taken the one that is in there now out and performed a continuity test with the switch cold and than placing a lighter on it to engage the switch it is perform properly. I guess the next step is to trace all the wiring for a bad connection or break in the wire. A job for another weekend.

I am wondering it there is ash that is creating an insulating effect where the snap disk is.
If you are jumping it at the disk, and it runs, then the wiring may not be at issue.
Is the snap disk the correct temps?
Also make sure the disk is in good contact to transmit the heat.

Reactions: Stovensen
If you are jumping it at the disk, and it runs, then the wiring may not be at issue.
Is the snap disk the correct temps?

Good point, MikeSs. The low limit snap switch should close at 140 degree Fahrenheit and open again when the exhaust temperature drops below 120 degree Fahrenheit. These temps should be written on the switch.
Something indicates bad air flow in the stove. Deep cleaning a Whitfield pellet stove can be a pain, but the OP states that he has cleaned it from "top to bottom".

A sticky thread on top of this forum has some very useful links on how involved/demanding a deep cleaning of a Whitfield Advantage actually is: http://www.hearthtools.com/parts/adavantageII_clean.htm

http://www.hearthtools.com/install/dirty_insert/images/IMG_1110.jpg

http://www.hearthtools.com/parts/dustbunnies.jpg

Not sure what you are referring to when you say SNAP disk. I this the portion of the switch that is in the exhaust tube. If you have a picture that would be helpful. This switch is brand new and it is the second one that I have installed with the same result.

We have an extreme example of the buildup MikeSs is referring to on this picture. Here the entire stove is pulled out, but pulling the exhaust blower is enough to enable cleaning of this area. I use a pipe cleaner to clean the metal barb next to the low limit snap switch. The hose to the pressure switch is connected to this metal barb.
IMG_1110.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.