Whitfield Advantage !! T Insert GOT IT WORKING

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wwert

Feeling the Heat
Dec 6, 2008
Northern CT.
I am adding an igniter to a stove that did not have one. The tube is there and I am wondering how close to the Ultragrate the igniter should be? I have it working but won't light pellets. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks as always

wwert said:
I am adding an igniter to a stove that did not have one. The tube is there and I am wondering how close to the Ultragrate the igniter should be? I have it working but won't light pellets. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks as always

Is there plenty of air coming around the igniter?

And how close to the front of the tube is the end of the igniter? It is possible for the igniter to interfere with the air flow if it is too close to the end of the tube, you are making a heat gun and it is the hot air that does the actual deed.

Thanks Smokey,
I think you have nailed the problem. Although there is an auger tube it does not extend more than 1 inch from where it enters the firebox. The igniter is about 2 1/2 inches out past the tube so no heat gun effect. I may have to insert a tube in through the present tube and get it closer to the pot. It is also possible that the stove has had the burn pot upgraded and that would cause the gap. Not sure so will keep playing. Anyone have a Whitfield that can tell me how close the igniter tube is to the ash pot in your stove.

Cheers All

it should have the large airtube, and a small long tube for the igniter under the ultragrate if I read the whitfield add on parts correctly.

When was your stove built?, does it have newer style led control's?

1994 not many changes in the run cycle of product...... mechanical controls to led retrograde update, firebrick, glass trim rings, really onlu mods made that I think of off hand

Not sure of year. Has the digital control board. I am not willing to pay $130.00 for the tube so decided to try and make one, tough to do with nothing to go off of. Found picture but put air intake holes in front of tube and it doesn't light pellets. Will make another with air intake holes in back and see what happens. Thanks for your help all.

wwert said:
Not sure of year. Has the digital control board. I am not willing to pay $130.00 for the tube so decided to try and make one, tough to do with nothing to go off of. Found picture but put air intake holes in front of tube and it doesn't light pellets. Will make another with air intake holes in back and see what happens. Thanks for your help all.

Yes the air enters from behind the igniter and flows over the sides and out the front. Most of the igniter length gets really really hot.

you are putting your tube in the air intake tube Under the ultragrate correct? If I was to try and upgrade a model that does not have the tube already, I would try and figure out how to attach it to top of factory air tube insides... mine is not set for the ignitor ... and with the old rotory knob controls I can make run for many more years I hope without retro fitting to newer control board.

No this stove came igniter ready. There is a tube with a plug in it to the left of the air intake where I am putting a tube for an igniter. The aftermarket kit is $225.00 and the tube alone is $130.00 and I am trying to do it cheaper. i have wired power through a high limit snap disc and have power to the igniter but have tried 2 different tube configurations and neither will ignite pellets in the burn pot. I guess I will have to buy the kit or use a torch.

wwert said:
Thanks Smokey,
I think you have nailed the problem. Although there is an auger tube it does not extend more than 1 inch from where it enters the firebox. The igniter is about 2 1/2 inches out past the tube so no heat gun effect. I may have to insert a tube in through the present tube and get it closer to the pot. It is also possible that the stove has had the burn pot upgraded and that would cause the gap. Not sure so will keep playing. Anyone have a Whitfield that can tell me how close the igniter tube is to the ash pot in your stove.

Cheers All

Your Advantage II T cannot be that different from my Quest Plus as for the igniter set up around the Ultragrate. I just found some pics of my igniter that I took a couple of years ago. From these pics you get an idea of the length of the tube next to the fire pot. Not the best quality, though ... took them with my cell phone.

Note: The convection blower, The Ultragrate fire pot and the ash pan have been removed for cleaning.

Attachments

• DSC00873''.jpg
    DSC00873''.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 320
  • DSC00914'.jpg
    DSC00914'.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 274
  • DSC00915'.jpg
    DSC00915'.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 264
  • DSC00916'.jpg
    DSC00916'.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 258
  • whitfieldigniter.jpg
    whitfieldigniter.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 265
Thank you Stovensen that was very kind of you to take the time. That helps a lot, a will give it another shot tomorrow.

Thank you all for your help. I drilled 2 more holes in the back of the tube and bingo it worked. I didn't have enough air being drawn into the tube was the problem. Yahoo.

yeah congrats.... mine isnt igniter ready or friendly for that matter lol its a Dinosaur model ...but it sure works good 99% of the time

That was the plan but I've grown attached, kinda like the looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.