Whitfield advantage thermostat troubles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shawntrout

Oct 11, 2008
wyoming
Hello Everyone,

i purchased a used whitfield advantage 2t stove installed it and it works great. i wanted to upgrade the old thermostat that came with it (probably the original) so i did some research and found that a standard millivolt thermostat should work. i purchased a skytech 3301p thermostat and hooked it up. the stove would not respond to commands from the reciever. i disconnected the reciever and the stove went into pilot mode. connected the reciever back to the stove and the stove turned into the "on" position. however it still would not take commands from the transmitter.

i then pulled the reciever off, grabbed my trusty voltmeter, connected the wires to my voltmeter to check continuity. when i would turn the transmitter on i would get continuity, when i would set it to off i would lose continuity. so it appears the thermostat was working properly. i then plugged the thermostat back into the stove and still the same problem.

i decided to plug the voltmeter in line with the thermostat to see if i would lose continuity. wires go from the jumper on the control board, then to the lead on the voltmeter, then the other lead goes to the thermostat, then the other lead of the thermostat goes to the other jumper on the control board. tested the on/off function of the reciever and the stove started turning on and off properly.

so obviously this is a very temporary setup but i don't know what i need to do to make it a permanent solution. i am not an electrician by no means but i need to get this working with this thermostat. anybody have any suggestions?

sorry about the lengthy description, just wanted to be detailed

Shawn Trout

Shawn, I have always been under the impression that you wanted to use a whole volt thermostat, not millivolt. We have used just about every thermostat that Honeywell makes without difficulty.

thanks for your reply...do you know if there is any way to get this thermometer to work? if not, do you know of anything similar to the skytech 3301p that would work?

thanks

sorry Shawn, dont really know how to make that work, and I'm not familiar with htat thermostat at all. I'm sure someone else here will have some input though

Delta-T said:
sorry Shawn, dont really know how to make that work, and I'm not familiar with htat thermostat at all. I'm sure someone else here will have some input though

We use skytech on all our gas and pellet stoves no problem
you will hear a beep on the black box reciever every time the remote calls for heat

what is it you want the Remote stat to do
All the stat does is OPEN and CLOSE the circuit

with the whitfield and open thermostat circuit the stove will run in a LOW MODE. NOT TURN IT ON OR OFF.
Closed circuit the stove will run at the heat setting set on the control board.

If you have a Digital control board all the heat level lights will flash when you have an open circuit when it is NOT calling for heat.

that is exactly what i want it to do but for some reason when i plug the two wires in from the reciever to the control board the circuit is then closed no matter what command i send from the transmitter. i tested the open/close function of the reciever with a continuity test on a voltmeter. when the transmitter called for heat, the circuit would close, when it turned off the heat, the circuit would open (exactly how it should work) but when i plug the leads back into the stove control board it closes the circuit and takes no commands from the transmitter. however i still here the beeps coming from the reciever when i turn the heat on or off.

any thoughts?

Shawn

shawntrout said:
that is exactly what i want it to do but for some reason when i plug the two wires in from the reciever to the control board the circuit is then closed no matter what command i send from the transmitter. i tested the open/close function of the reciever with a continuity test on a voltmeter. when the transmitter called for heat, the circuit would close, when it turned off the heat, the circuit would open (exactly how it should work) but when i plug the leads back into the stove control board it closes the circuit and takes no commands from the transmitter. however i still here the beeps coming from the reciever when i turn the heat on or off.

any thoughts?

Shawn

sounds like a ground our short in the control board or the wires going to the receiver box.

do you have a Digital control board or the old analog board with knobs and switches.
because the old analog boards never did work worth a crap.

thanks for your reply.

it is the newer push button control board version....but whats wierd is that the old thermostat (mercury capsule on a coil) works fine on the unit. the lights will blink when the old thermostat is not calling for heat and will be solid when it is calling for heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.