Whitfield Advantage WP2 - limit switch?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

demus72

Nov 17, 2009
Northwestern US
Greetings,

I was given the afore mentioned pellet stove from my father in law. He said the last time he used it, or tried to use it, it filled his house with smoke. I know for fact that all he ever did was empty the ash pan, he never cleaned it. I spent over an hour with a shop vac cleaning all soot and ash I could find. I did not remove the brick boards behind the burn pot, is this necessary? When I took the back cover off, I found a few partially burned pellets, burned wiring, and what I believe to be a burned limit switch. It was dangling close to the bottom centered across the back. From what I have read on the net, there are three limit switches on this particular model? Can anyone tell me where they are mounted and which one I discovered burned that will need to be replaced? The local dealer hasn't been very helpful at all. They did suggest crossing the wires and firing it up to verify it works. I did this and all is well. The only other thing I noticed is the blower surges, speeds up then slows down, and is relative to which setting I put it on 1-5. From what I understand, Whitfield Advantage WP2 is a quality make/model. I am looking forward to getting it in my basement and firing it up before the real cold hits.

Thanks for any thoughts, comments or suggestions.

Firstly, yes, you do need to remove the bricks and clean the channels behind them. As to the switches......I believe 1 High limit switch is against the firewall (black with white or yellow sticker usually) and 1 is down below near the air inlet (same color). The Low Limit, or Proof of Fire switch is mounted to the combustion blower. I'd suggest jumping them out one at a time to find which one is no good. If you have a multi meter you can test them for continuity, bad ones will show no continuity when cold (for high limit) and the low limit is normally open but closes at 140 degrees ( I believe). I think you can still download the manual from Lennox.
That is a good stove, so if you got it for free then Yeah! Good luck

If this is a freestanding unit, I Just got thru renovating the sister to your stove. AND YES remvove the front brick retainer plates and remove brick and clean, clean and then clean some more. Mine was so plugged that when I removed the bricks there weren't any passage to be seen. I scrapped around with a screw driver and putty knife and low and behold there was a world of passage ways back there. It was also recommended to remove both blowers and clean the squirrel cage fans. You can remove the side covers, two screws on the front just behind the door and then easy acess to the fans. I had pressure switch issues but was able to get them resolved, there was the correct switch in with some spare parts that came with the stove and once I installed it the stove ran beautifully. I think you'll enjoy the stove once you get cleaned and repaired. Don't despair it's worth the effort, you'll see. Keep on comin' back here and the guys will help you. bjr23

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I will take what I have learned here and with any luck, get the thing going. You have been more help than the local pellet stove store already.

Thanks again, and I'll definitely be back.

Status
Not open for further replies.