Whitfield Advantage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shafer14

Oct 16, 2011
Kirkwood, NY
Anyone know of any ideas on how to remove the combustion blower on our Whitfield Advantage? Removed all the bolts and still won't come away from the housing..

Thank You

BFH?

some whit owners will be along shortly to help.

shafer14 said:
There's a spindle in there and wont let us remove it

What?

There should be six nuts holding the motor mount plate against the blower housing. Between them sits a circular gasket.

Once the nuts are off you insert a pen knife or putty knife blade against the blower housing and go around the motor mount plate, the motor its mounting plate and the impeller should come right out of the stove.

ok got it off, now another question.....where we took that off and the hole thats there once you get it off, is stuffed full of insulation (black soot insulation)???

shafer14 said:
ok got it off, now another question.....where we took that off and the hole thats there once you get it off, is stuffed full of insulation (black soot insulation)???

Please post a picture ...

shafer14 said:
I tried, keep getting an error that pixels are too big, read how to post pictures and still not working

You'll need to resize the picture it isn't the size of the pixels but the number of pixels in the picture.

Hopefully this will be readable.

Attachments

• resizeinsulation.jpeg
    resizeinsulation.jpeg
    17.7 KB · Views: 210
Now this is where your combustion blower (looks like the housing to me) was attached?

Well that is sure a good blockage from where I sit.

Can you send me a picture of what you removed? I want to be certain of the state of the internals of that stove.

I'll resize and post it.

yep, do you want a pic of the insulation or the blower that I just cleaned out with a air compressor, that's how bad it was, there was also a piece of that insulation in where the blades are...

shafer14 said:
Is the insulation susposed to be in there?

If that is the exhaust path the answer is no, it looks like a mouse or squirrel built its nest in there I want to be certain what shape the rest of the exhaust system is in.

Blower picture.

When you get the stove back together you should attempt a leaf blower cleaning. I suspect you have additional crud in the system.

Now this is important what color is that insulation?

And exactly how much more is in the system?

I don't want you pulling out any insulation that should be in there but for the life of me I can't figure out why any should be in there at all.

Can you tell what the color of the insulation was originally.

Attachments

• resizeBlower.jpeg
    resizeBlower.jpeg
    38.2 KB · Views: 191
shafer14 said:
huh? What do you mean?

Well member hearthtools pulled an entire winters supply of acorns out of one stove, another member pulled a bird out of one, there have been birds nest in the venting, and on the list goes.

Small animals will crawl into dark places and build a home.

If I go outside and lift up the plastic wrap that covers my hobby wood supply I frequently find where a mouse has built a nest and sometimes a chipmunk.

That is the reason termination caps frequently have wire mesh on them and OAKs also have a screen.

Folks have had bees, hornets, yellow jackets, and wasps build nests in venting sometimes even making it all the way into the firebox.

OMG well hopefully this will be the end of them.....I should of had a first clue, when the insulation in the doors is yellow, not pink......

The gasket we pulled off is made of a really hard rope...when I go to the website that sells advantage parts that go with our model number they have holes in them, so just to be sure going to give them a call tomm.

Thanks so much Smokey for being so patient with me, I have been obsessed with this stove seeing it is replacing our boiler we lost when hurricane Lee made a visit. Hopefully this gasket will come quick, going to be getting cold here real quick in NY, been real lucky so far.

Thanks Again....

shafer14 said:
OMG well hopefully this will be the end of them.....I should of had a first clue, when the insulation in the doors is yellow, not pink......

The gasket we pulled off is made of a really hard rope...when I go to the website that sells advantage parts that go with our model number they have holes in them, so just to be sure going to give them a call tomm.

Thanks so much Smokey for being so patient with me, I have been obsessed with this stove seeing it is replacing our boiler we lost when hurricane Lee made a visit. Hopefully this gasket will come quick, going to be getting cold here real quick in NY, been real lucky so far.

Thanks Again....

Anytime, please let us know how everything turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.