Whitfield Advantanage ll-T

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beeg

Dec 15, 2009
Idaho
We recently bought a home with a whitfield pellet stove. At first it worked great but after a couple of days it just stopped. We would start it and it would burn out in about 30 to 45 minutes. The auger was sporadically feeding the fire so we bought a new auger motor. It started right up and ran for two days and then quit again. We then replaced the low limit switch and it started right up for just under 24 hours and then quit again. We since have also replaced both high limit sensors and got a multimeter and checked the pressure switch which was working fine. Everything is clean and ash free, We have checked all the auger and the auger motor and they are all set up right. Can anybody give me any advice. I found one company that can service it but they are over an hour away and will be expensive. Please any advice would be appreciated.

If you go back and edit your post, put the Model number/name in the title.....you'll get more responses, plus we'll know what stove you have.

Also, do you know what year the stove was made?

And by "Everything is clean and ash free", that means you removed the blowers and cleaned them, cleaned behind the firebox in the ash traps, and brushed & vacuumed the entire exhaust pipe, correct?

Hello and welcome to the forum, have you pulled out the flame sensor under the cover in the pellet hopper and cleaned it and the lense cover to make sure they are both clean? If it does not sense flame it will shut down the auger and the fire will go out. There are two small nuts that hold the small cover on and it is mounted under there so that it can look down the pellet shoot at the burn pot.

do you know which model it is? When it goes out are there pellets in the burnpot or is the burnpot empty?Have you removed the fake bricks to clean the channels behind them?

follow all the steps for cleaning and trouble shooting that is linked in the yellow sticky pages at the top of the pellet room

Be sure and take out the fire brick back and vacuum out all the passage ways back there and take apart the blowers fans and clean the rotor fins and housings. Make sure the dampner gate moves full slide. Check the pressure switch tube for cracks or being plugged. I've an old Whitfield Avantage II and all it took to get goiing again was a serious cleaning and freeing up the flu dampner gate. bjr23

Did you ever figure out the problem? I have tried a ton of things with my Whitfield Profile 30 and it is showing similar characteristics.

Hi Everybody thank you so much for your suggestions. Ok to answer some of your questions. It is a Whitfield Advantage ll-T It was made in 1994. As for clean and ash free - yes over the last month we have taken it completely apart twice and cleaned all blowers, behind the fire bricks, etc.. The comment about the flame sensor - I do not see anything that you were describing and have not found it in my manuel so I am assuming my pellet stove model does not have one. The comment on it going out with or without pellet's in the burnpot. It usually goes out with no pellets because the auger quits dropping the pellets. On to the pressure switch - we replaced the hose because the other one was brittle. We also did the test with the multimeter on the pressure switch and it says it is working properly.On the control board the auger light is still blinking saying it is on but the auger does not start. Our stove does not have a igniter so we start it manually. It usually takes a little while to heat it up before the auger will turn on when it would turn on. The heat output dial has never worked on number 5. Could this be a control board problem? Thanks again for your advice and a little more would still be appreciated.

first thing I would check is saw dust in bottom of hopper..... You want zero dust......... that is the only problem Ive ever had with my whitfield..........The leaf blower trick helps also

Hi everybody
Thank you so much for all of your advice. I thought I should update and let you know the outcome. It was the pressure switch. Apparentley there is three tests to make sure the pressure switch is working properly. The first test which we did do was testing with the stove off, mulitmeter and blowing in the hose. Which said it was working properly. The second is when the stove is on and right as you notice the auger turn off you undo the hose and see if the auger motor kicks back on. We did both of those tests and both gave the illusion that it was working. After talking to the lennox tech support the last test is actually bi-passing the pressure switch all together and just take both wires and connect them. This was the test that worked and proved it was the pressure switch.

beeg said:
Hi everybody
Thank you so much for all of your advice. I thought I should update and let you know the outcome. It was the pressure switch. Apparentley there is three tests to make sure the pressure switch is working properly. The first test which we did do was testing with the stove off, mulitmeter and blowing in the hose. Which said it was working properly. The second is when the stove is on and right as you notice the auger turn off you undo the hose and see if the auger motor kicks back on. We did both of those tests and both gave the illusion that it was working. After talking to the lennox tech support the last test is actually bi-passing the pressure switch all together and just take both wires and connect them. This was the test that worked and proved it was the pressure switch.

That is one of the first things my help pages say to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.