Whitfield Auger Problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 3, 2009
DURANGO, CO
I have a 1990 WHitfield Advantage. Today, the auger started acting funny. It was burning fine and all of the sudden the auger stopped turning. The red light on the control board is still blinking as if the auger should be feeding but the auger isnt turning. It isnt making any weird noises, just not moving. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. THanks!

Check to make sure the auger isn't jammed if you haven't already done so. I have a Whitfield that I am having auger motor problems with right now. The timing is way off on feeding. Starting to think the control panel is my problem.

I did clean out my hopper and when I pulled the auger out, I was amazed at how much sawdust collects in there.

Thanks so much! I pulled the set screw out and the box off and wiggled it around and then put it back on and voila....pellets are feeding.

Thanks!

Good luck with your auger issues, hope they are as easy as mine were.

Yep. Glad to help out. This is a great site for helping fellow pellet stovers!

Flem said:
I did clean out my hopper and when I pulled the auger out, I was amazed at how much sawdust collects in there.
How do you pull the auger out? Is it from the back of the stove after you remove the auger motor, or from within the hopper? I also have the Profile 30 and I'm having problems with the auger not turning. I can turn it with my hand after removing the auger moter, but I can feel some resistance there. Thanks.

north7 said:
Flem said:
How do you pull the auger out? Is it from the back of the stove after you remove the auger motor, or from within the hopper? I also have the Profile 30 and I'm having problems with the auger not turning. I can turn it with my hand after removing the auger moter, but I can feel some resistance there. Thanks.
As I remember about Flem's problem, you should be able to pull the auger out the back after removing the motor. Just keep wiggling it back & forth while pulling backward. You could also try "unscrewing" it back out.....sounds like you have some fines packed in there.

macman said:
north7 said:
Flem said:
As I remember about Flem's problem, you should be able to pull the auger out the back after removing the motor. Just keep wiggling it back & forth while pulling backward. You could also try "unscrewing" it back out.....sounds like you have some fines packed in there.
I should have mentioned that I have the free standing model and not the insert. Once I take the motor off, the end of the auger shaft is viewable and it comes through a hole in a plate that is mounted with 4 screws. I'm assuming that is how I access the auger... remove the screws and pull the plate off. Is this correct?

north7 said:
.....Once I take the motor off, the end of the auger shaft is viewable and it comes through a hole in a plate that is mounted with 4 screws. I'm assuming that is how I access the auger... remove the screws and pull the plate off. Is this correct?

Sounds right.

Right on macman. Very easy to take out. Make sure your hopper is totally empty or you will have a mess!

Well, I removed the auger and there was a lot of fine particles in there... cleaned it up and the auger rotated very smoothly. Put it back together and gave the stove a good cleaning and everything is working like a charm!!

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.