Whitfield control panel flashing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amanda

Dec 27, 2016
Canada
Purchased a new control panel for my Whitfield advantage. All worked well until today. Both heat and blower lights keep flashing. All five lights with each. Auger works fine. Jumper wires brand new and fine. Help!!! What could be wrong? Not connected to thermostat. Thanks!

Was it connected to a thermostat? There should be a "jumper" wire between the two terminals for the thermostat if it is not connected to a thermostat. If that is not in place, or a thermostat hooked up, the stove has no frame of reference (temperature source) to control processes.

Our junperwire is attached directly to our control panel and is firmly in place.

Attachments

• IMG_4025.JPG
    IMG_4025.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 998
Our junperwire is attached directly to our control panel and is firmly in place.
Use a ohm meter and make sure it is jumping across terminal

All five lights are flashing. What else would cause these lights to flash besides the jumper wire? We have an Advsntage 1 stove with a new Advantage 2 control panel. Our jumper wire is attached to the control panel.

All five lights are flashing. What else would cause these lights to flash besides the jumper wire?
Those flashing lights certainly indicate a missing or badly connected jumper wire. The red jumper wire on your picture is connected to the terminals with "crimped on" spade plugs. Some insulation material may be trapped inside the crimp making an open jumper connection. A closer inspection is needed with an ohmmeter. And while you're in there, also check the spade terminals on the circuit board for cold solderings.

We have an Advsntage 1 stove with a new Advantage 2 control panel.
So you have retro fitted the older Advantage 1 with the newer touch pad control board. I believe that the connections on this touch pad control board are identical to those on my Quest Plus control, and one thing is puzzling me, when I look at your picture: The 4 pin plug next to the thermostat terminals is missing, since your Advantage 1 has no ignitor installed. The brown wire ( see pic below ) is the "hot" phase to the ignitor. And now comes the interesting point: The red jumper in the 4 pin plug is for setting the stove for either 120 Volt ac mains or 230 Volt ac mains. As you can see, mine is set for the local 230 Volt ac. What happens, if you run the stove without any 4 pin plug at all? Have you been running the stove without the jumper for setting the line voltage? I have never tried it on my stove, so I don't know what happens.

DSC01332.JPG

Unavngivet.jpg

Last edited:
A picture from this angle is also needed to show the location and details of the 4 pin plug next to the thermostat terminals.

DSC00867.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.