Whitfield Convection blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wowzers

Oct 11, 2009
Northern Idaho
I recently moved into a house with a pellet stove. I don't think that the convection blower is working, as I don't feel hot air coming out of the heat exchanger tubes. I can feel radiant heat from the stove, but isn't air suppose to be blown out? I have taken the blower off and cleaned a massive amount of dust from the motor. However it still doesn't seem to work. Is there anything other than the motor being shot that might be causing this?

well you have a couple things you could check to make sure the snap disc is working and check to see if you have power to the blower it self. work from simpole to hard stuff . I would check the snap disc first they are touchy and go I have a kozi and had to replace one snap disc tiwce in the last two years on my kozi.

wowzers said:
I recently moved into a house with a pellet stove. I don't think that the convection blower is working, as I don't feel hot air coming out of the heat exchanger tubes. I can feel radiant heat from the stove, but isn't air suppose to be blown out? I have taken the blower off and cleaned a massive amount of dust from the motor. However it still doesn't seem to work. Is there anything other than the motor being shot that might be causing this?

The obvious isn`t always so obvious as I have discovered this same thing on a friends new stove. His convection blower fan wasn`t working for nearly a week but the stove ran well and threw a lot of radiant heat. After a few days running it we felt there should have been more hot air coming out the front.
Once we got the fan running we were astounded that we didn`t feel what should have been very obvious sooner than we did.
A good working fan blowing cold,warm ,or hot air will definitely be obvious.

bkfc255 said:
well you have a couple things you could check to make sure the snap disc is working and check to see if you have power to the blower it self. work from simpole to hard stuff . I would check the snap disc first they are touchy and go I have a kozi and had to replace one snap disc tiwce in the last two years on my kozi.

i agree... check the fan snap disc first: most newer stoves integrate it into the low limit switch, but the old whitfield probably has a second control switch for the fan against backside of the firebox or exhaust outlet. post a pic of said blower, and i could tell you if an aftermarket one would be compatible if it is shot...

Is the snap disc the two post sensor that is located just past where the fan blows air out? If so, I had the stove running, and unpluged one post, and the whole thing shut down. So I believe it is functional.

Also there is zero air coming out of the heat exchanger, so it must not be working.

Thanks, Preston.

wowzers said:
Is the snap disc the two post sensor that is located just past where the fan blows air out? If so, I had the stove running, and unpluged one post, and the whole thing shut down. So I believe it is functional.

Also there is zero air coming out of the heat exchanger, so it must not be working.

Thanks, Preston.

there should be more than one.. likely you disconnected the hi limit switch

So it was indeed a bad blower motor. THe land lady bought a new one. Have a quick question though. The last blower had four wires coming off it. two went to a "snapdisk" that is attached just above where the blower bolts on, and two that went to the circuit board. THe new blower only has two wire coming off of it. Is there suppose to be an extra two wires, or has the blower changed in recent years? Is the snapdisk above the blower mounting flange necessary or can it be removed? THanks

Status
Not open for further replies.