Whitfield Faulting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cannonmaker2

Oct 26, 2009
Western WA
Hi all. My brother in law got us a used Whitfield pellet stove and checked it out before he got it. Worked fine. Then when he brought it to my place, the lights flashed signaling a fault. He ordered a new board for it and got it going. The thing worked great for about a day. This morning I had a fire going and the fan shut off, the little green light was blinking which told me it was faulting. I pushed the on/off button and all the lights came back on, including the fan. I thought maybe it was overheating, so I turned the thermostat lower. About 20 min. later, it did the same thing again. I reset it again and just let the fire burn out and shut it down.
Is it possible the fan motor could be going out?

First thing to do would be to unplug the stove and let it reset itself. Then try again.

I'd start there.

Sounds like a temp switch on the exhaust fan. If this switch is bad the stove will run for 15 to 20 min and will shut down. You will be able to re-start but will shut down again. Should be 2 yellow wires, jump these and run the stove, if the stove keeps working replace this switch. 35 to 45 dollars on line.

Unplugging to reset didn't work. I just looked under the lid and saw Optima 3 Freestand / T300P Series. I looked at the fine print and it said it was UL tested in 1996.
I'll try jumping them yellow wires, but how long can I leave it going safely? Maybe an hour?

Well if you jumped the wires and the stoves works, order a new switch. This switch turns the the stove off. It's a temp switch 135 degrees. With it jumped it will not shut off. Jump the wires just to see if this is the problem, you can let the stove run this way, but keep a eye on it. I would not use this as a permanent fix, just a test.

Hello,
We have been using our Whitfield Advantage Plus (serial WH104443) for 12 seasons without incident. My wife is an expert pellet stove cleaner and cleans our stove every Saturday morning during the heating season. We live in NW Missouri and use our stove continuously from mid November to mid March. Our first hiccup seems to have occurred this evening. We had the stove off for cleaning today (as usual), and when we hit the start button the blowers both came on full (like normal). This time, instead of settling back to heat and blower set points after a second and a half, the stove just went off. We tried hitting the start button several times with the same results. I unplugged the stove to reset. Still wouldn't start normally. After trying to start the stove for a few minutes (and having it unplugged several times), all five of the blower lights and all five of the heat output lights started blinking alternately. Meaning that the five green blower lights would blink on and off, and then the five red heat output lights would blink on and off. This alternating pattern would continue until I unplugged the stove again. I am surprised that I haven't been able to find a thorough diagnostic for this control panel on-line. The closest that I have gotten, so far, is this forum. I'm glad you guys are here. Any thoughts on my situation? Based on what I have learned just now from hearth.com forum, I suspect that my high limit snap switch has failed. I can easily test it to see for sure, but I would be thrilled to know if there is a document available ANYWHERE that tell what the different self diagnostic blinking light patterns mean for the control panel on my stove. Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can provide...!!!

dannyashana said:
Hello,
We have been using our Whitfield Advantage Plus (serial WH104443) for 12 seasons without incident. My wife is an expert pellet stove cleaner and cleans our stove every Saturday morning during the heating season. We live in NW Missouri and use our stove continuously from mid November to mid March. Our first hiccup seems to have occurred this evening. We had the stove off for cleaning today (as usual), and when we hit the start button the blowers both came on full (like normal). This time, instead of settling back to heat and blower set points after a second and a half, the stove just went off. We tried hitting the start button several times with the same results. I unplugged the stove to reset. Still wouldn't start normally. After trying to start the stove for a few minutes (and having it unplugged several times), all five of the blower lights and all five of the heat output lights started blinking alternately. Meaning that the five green blower lights would blink on and off, and then the five red heat output lights would blink on and off. This alternating pattern would continue until I unplugged the stove again. I am surprised that I haven't been able to find a thorough diagnostic for this control panel on-line. The closest that I have gotten, so far, is this forum. I'm glad you guys are here. Any thoughts on my situation? Based on what I have learned just now from hearth.com forum, I suspect that my high limit snap switch has failed. I can easily test it to see for sure, but I would be thrilled to know if there is a document available ANYWHERE that tell what the different self diagnostic blinking light patterns mean for the control panel on my stove. Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can provide...!!!
you need to start a new topic for this the above stove is not the same as yours because it used the dumb photo eye. yours used a low limit switch for proof of fire.

cannonmaker2 said:
Unplugging to reset didn't work. I just looked under the lid and saw Optima 3 Freestand / T300P Series. I looked at the fine print and it said it was UL tested in 1996.
I'll try jumping them yellow wires, but how long can I leave it going safely? Maybe an hour?

your stove has a photo eye for proof of fire not a low limit switch

you may just need to clean the photo eye
do a search for photo eye and or profile 30 pellet stove on the forums to find more info

Ok, thanks Rod. I finally got back on checking out the stove and tried unplugging the yellow wires from the panel. The fan never kicked off. I'll see if the eye needs cleaned. Thanks again everyone for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.