Whitfield Hopper Capacity

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gdean

Feb 25, 2010
Seattle, WA
I was looking to possibly replace my pellet stove. I am not sure just how old the thing is but the place was built in the early 80's...so how knows. One of the main things I was looking at, as far as specs on the new one, is a larger hopper capacity then the one I have.

I am just not sure what the capacity of the current one is. I found a manual online for one of the models but I am just not sure if it is the one I have. It says the unit has a 60 lb capacity and will last up to 46 hours. This makes me think this isn't the manual for my unit since I can bearly fit one 40 lb bag in it and it only lasts around 12-18 hours tops on low heat.

Can anybody tell me what the capacity of my current unit is or know where I could find the actual manual for it. Below is a picture of the tag on the underside of the hopper lid.

0224102212Small.jpg

Thanks in advance.

i have a copy of the original manual, which is more like a pamphlet, but it doesn't say what the "actual" capacity is anywhere. I bet if you pour 1 bag in, then stick you arm into the slot and push the pellets back into the hopper you might be able to get close to 60 lbs, but good luck on that one. I think on most stoves the listed capacity is only achievable if you move all the pellets around and fill every possible void. I bet they just use the 41 lbs per cubed foot density average and the volume of the hopper design to make the guesstimate on that. I love the old advantage stoves.

I can only get one 40 lb bag in if I pour some in then take the steel tool that came with it and stuff it in the hopper, moving it back and forth. Then I pour a bit more in and do it again.

Thanks for the replies. I will email you in a little while Dave.

Thank you for the info. I also emailed you the one that I had found online, which said it had a 60-70 lb capacity depending on free standing vs. insert. My unit looks more like the one in the attached manual, i.e. on page 21 there is a picture of the control panel and mine looks like that one and not the dials on the ones you sent me.

Is there a possibility that when installed as an insert the exhaust made it necessary to have a different hopper in it with less capacity?

I don’t know I am just grasping at air because it doesn’t make any sense. I could see it taking closer to 50 lbs instead of 60 lbs but for there to be a 20 lb difference between what it is spec’ed and what it actually holds is a little weird. To get the 40 lb bags in I end up having to pour pellets in about 3-4 times while moving the tool side to side in between pours.

Anyways thanks again for your help and the picture I posted was of the sticker under the hopper lid.

Status
Not open for further replies.