Whitfield insert cleanout problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SPUD

Nov 7, 2006
Hello all,
I own a Whitfield advantage ll insert. This year I'll really clean the thing out, sez i, as the
draft seemed a bit weak. Flue and chimney are AOK, I 've isolated the problem to the right
side (from the front).I am unable to clear the right passage. I can see that in similar models there are removable
cleanouts. I have none. Right side access is terrible, with 0.25' between the heat exchanger tubes, and the exhaust
passage at a right angle to the front, I'm not sure of the path past that point.
I've also attempted to vaccuum/ blow from the manifold in back (again, poor access), with limited success.
I have always done the routine cleaning weekly. I've replaced an auger, blower and control
board over the last coupla years, so I'm somewhat familiar with this stove.
Left side (nearest blower) is fine.
The insert has 75 lbs on me...I can't move it around much any more...
You folks may be my last resort.
Any thoughts?

Tear out the fireback (which I assume you've already done. Then you have two metal baffles. There are two 5/16" screws that hold the baffles in remove those. You the slide the baffle out, route it behind the burnpot hole then lift it up towards the exchanger tubes. Then kick the bottom end out and remove from teh firebox. Once both of the baffles are removed you will beable to see two holes approx. 3" square at the bottom of each side. That's the path and probably where your plug is.

There are no screws, the (side) baffles are welded.
I was incorrect about the model, it's an Advantage plus.
Perhaps the "plus" is the removal of baffle doors!!
I can't be the only one with this issue.
I'll try to post a photo.

Please do I don't have a lot of experience with the Plus. That must be one of the major differences between it and the ADVII-T

Look and wonder...
Witness the creosote on the right.

Attachments

• DSC00250.jpg
    DSC00250.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 259
Status
Not open for further replies.