Q&A Whitfield Ovation gas problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Re: whitfield Ovation problem I purchased an Ovation gas stove by Whitfield four years ago. This winter past it refused to light without repeated on/offs of the rocker switch on the side panel, and when it does finally light it only stays lit for a minute or two then shuts off again.

I can light it by turning the switch on then using the igniter button, but obviously this is not the proper way to light it. Also it shuts down again after only a minute or two of operation.

What the heck is going on and can I fix it myself? Or does it require a gas technician, an electrician, or whom?

Answer:

Sounds like one of a few things.

1. The pilot light needs turned up a bit

2. The thermopile needs replacing

3. The switch need replacement

You can easily check the switch by removing the wires from it and jumping them. If it works fine then replace the rocker switch.

Then try turning the pilot up a bit and make certain the hood that makes the gas hit the thermocouple is properly directed. More info at:

https://www.hearth.com/what/gas/howgasworks.html

Link: Article: How Gas Works

Status
Not open for further replies.