Whitfield Owners or Techs that work on them.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kinsmanstoves

Minister of Fire
I got a call from a friend of a friend saying their Whitfield was not running right and I needed to fix it. I was going out and past their house so it was not a big deal.

This was all that I was told, "It is not running right". I got there and found a Whitfield of some model and attempted to start. The stove filled with smoke that started pouring out from everywhere, vent, hopper, air wash. I asked about cleaning of the vent pipe and he said he had just cleaned it and it was full of "stuff". As the smoke was rolling into the house a large "poof" from inside the stove happened and the smoke started going out the vent pipe. I think the combustion blower had a large amount of "stuff" we will call ash in it blocking the exit of gases.

I did notice the auger was running very intermittent. I research the owners manual and saw they instead of a snap disk or similar sensor this stove has an "eye" that looks for fire. This eye is in the pellet drop shoot. I find the eye and saw the red plastic covering the eye was soot covered. I cleaned it and put it all back together. Relight the stove with no problem and was told that it was a very good flame. I was happy and drank 2 of his Bud Lights. Very tasty after being smoke covered.

Please remember to hydrate with any type of activity.

I am not familiar with this brand. Did I miss anything?

Eric

The eye cover needs to be cleaned every now and then, normal. Depending on the model, there are ash traps on the bottom left and right of the stove that need to be cleaned at least every season. These are removed using a 5/16" socket. You'd be amazed how poorly these run when the traps haven't been cleaned properly.

As for hydration, I just finished of a 12 pack of Samual Adams Octoberfest :-( Too bad it's seasonal because it's really, really good.

the profile 20, 30 and traditions that were made by lennox all have the photo eye.
all Piles of crap.
i sold about 50 whitfield stoves per year.
the year the photo eye stove came out we did our normal early buy of 25 stoves
sold 5 and had trouble calls EVERY DAY on the five we had installed.
lennox came out with excuse after excuse or NO CALL BACK at all from the Rep.
Fix after fix. Control board, wire harness, Pressure switch.
Well i called lennox and told them to take them all i had in stock back
Another dealer 50 miles away came up the hill and took them.

A year latter they came out with the photo eye relocation kit.
at the trade show they dedicated a second story of there 3,000 sq foot indoor booth to several lap tops with a video of all the fixed and how the new relocated photo eye will fix the problems
The took all dealers and A lot of dealers that DUMPED whitfield because of this POS stove up to see the video secrectly so any potential new dealers would not know what was going on.
To this day I still dont sell Lennox stoves. but I do buy over $100k in parts a year from them

hearthtools said:
the profile 20, 30 and traditions that were made by lennox all have the photo eye.
all Piles of crap.

at the trade show they dedicated a second story of there 3,000 sq foot indoor booth to several lap tops with a video of all the fixed and how the new relocated photo eye will fix the problems
The took all dealers and A lot of dealers that DUMPED whitfield because of this POS stove up to see the video secrectly so any potential new dealers would not know what was going on.
To this day I still dont sell Lennox stoves. but I do buy over $100k in parts a year from them

Thanks

I was approached early this season to take on the Lenox line but I was rolling the dice on Harman. I am glad I dragged my feet. My Harman stove just started rolling in and the intital order was placed in June 08.

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
hearthtools said:
all Piles of crap.

Thanks

I was approached early this season to take on the Lenox line but I was rolling the dice on Harman. I am glad I dragged my feet. My Harman stove just started rolling in and the intital order was placed in June 08.

Eric

All the current Lennox pellet stoves are the Country stoves.
they dumped the whitfield and Earthstove line last year.

My Lennox/Whitfield Traditions T-300 has been a paperweight from the day it was manufactured. It has NEVER run as it was supposed to…Even after being re- installed by the dealer. It was taken back to the shop, cleaned, the board replaced, limit switches replaced, photo eye replaced, pressure switch replaced, and finally the combustion motor replaced. Two weeks later dropped on my doorstep saying that their “technicians” could not get it to run and that Lennox was of no help to them. NO REFUND!
From my porch, I loaded it into the back of my truck with a 4x8 For Sale sign explaining my reasons for my dis-satisfaction, the dealer’s name and my phone #. I left my truck parked at the WAL-MART located 1/8 mile from his shop. Six hours later I was phoned that the area Rep. would come re-install and “assess” the problem. This “Wizard” (who claimed to own a T-300) calibrated the feed to MIN, the air to MAX and opened the damper to FULL just to burn the pellets as they filled the box. He then said that would do the trick but I wouldn’t be able to use the LOW OR HIGH heat settings..Just MED. Aughh!
This all took over a month since the stove first “entered my life”. I spent my days on line, on the phone, and even at the courthouse trying to resolve my $3900.00 mistake. Nights were spent in a chair in front of the stove listening for the almost hourly “CLICK” telling me it’s time for a full clean (yes, the photo-eye too) and a restart. I was even told by a Lennox Rep. that yes although they had purchased Whitfield, It was considered the “Red headed step child” of the company. There was no-body to speak to that knew about “Lennox Hearth” products (as opposed to Lennox Heating). So much for spending extra for the security of name brand customer service!
Four years later…I have had the stove COMPLETELY apart on my bench. Blowers and switches out, wiring gutted you name it. With the help of a few of you, and a few…well, let’s just say warranty voiding modifications, I’ve got what could be described as a “working” pellet stove! Not perfect mind you, but with QUALITY pellets and constant attention, I have actually managed to heat my home by pellet this year!
“Maybe,I, on the other hand, will get a GOOD Whitfield/Lennox” you say?... Ponder over the research and development and design features that this company has implemented before you decide to purchase.
THE GOOD:
1. Beautiful stove.Nice enamel finish (Huge selling point for the wife)
2. Wood stove-like appearance, LARGE window
THE BAD:
1. Assembly from the factory is terrible! 11 missing fasteners, 3 missing spacers causing panel misalignment and the decibel level of a train as the unit is loose and just won’t sit squarely on the floor unless thoroughly gone through. High temp sealant was gobbed everywhere. Some even interfering with moving parts and pellet feed. Easy fix w/a razor blade. Almost ALL self tapping screws were stripped. one size larger fixed most issues.
2. THIS IS NOT A SEALED UNIT!!! Throw your cold air intake away! Remove the back panel, see that the intake hose ends there…And the bottom and side are open to the room. There are even slots between the door and the glass to let ROOM AIR INTO THE COMBUSTION AREA and you are instructed to keep these clear by pushing cardboard through them each time you clean the stove! ( I use my stove dealers business card as that’s all it’s good for). So much for efficiency.
3. The “petite” ash pan. We at home have dubbed it “The Brownie pan” Problem: Think about it… This pan could be 5’x5’, but at only 1 1/2 inches deep, how long can it take for your ash pile under the firebox to climb 1 1/2 inches high thus preventing your ash to fall through thus causing the firebox to start piling over with pellets? Solution: Empty the ash pan every ONE bag of pellets (Depending on the brand). Problem:The constant pulling of the “Brownie Pan” will have your home completely covered in ash in a matter of weeks. Easier to repaint than to wash..I’ve done it…Twice.
4. Like painting you say? Excellent because the soot is still flying! If you’ll notice, even on the generic units sold at Fleet & Farm, Home Depot, etc. The heat exchangers are cleared by pulling a knob or lever on the exterior of the stove. It’s almost “fun” as you can just about do it every time you walk by the stove. Lennox, not so fun. First you’d best lay something on the floor in front of the stove, because the door while fully open (yes Billy, you must open the door) is surely large enough that it extends past most hearth pads dropping soot onto the floor. With the door open, reach into the stove just above the exchanger plate, grab the soot covered hook, (or use the hole in the handle of the clinker tool provided by grabbing the soot covered head of the tool). Next, carefully pull the assembly toward you until all soot and ash are pulled forward from the exchanger tubes and onto your hearth pad and carpet. If some manages to land on the stove floor don’t worry as it too will soon enter your living space in the form of a giant dust cloud. NOTE:This method has even motivated me to paint adjoining rooms in the house!
5. Ask your sales person to DEMONSTRATE how to remove the eye AND clean it’s filter. THE filter IS NOT ON THE EYE! The eye lifts out easily as it is attached to the cover…The filter however, is hidden way down inside the auger housing held in by two tiny metric nuts that you WILL drop into the auger at least once. The whole operation is done completely blind as well as one (left) handed. The filter is amber PLASTIC. Heat resistant or not, dust and heat will leave the once smooth plastic pitted and rough causing ash to cling to it almost immediately. The photo eye then cannot sense the flame and will cut power to your auger motor. I remedied this problem by cutting my own lens out of tempered glass. I used clear but if your stove is located where direct sunlight will enter the firebox I would use amber to prevent pellets dropping in a no-fire situation. Since installing the glass eye, (We call it Sammy…Davis), I have not had to clean it as i did every Sunday.
Well, that’s as much as I have time for. Not that I’m in any way finished with the long list of deficiencies (or my remedys)on the Lennox product or its company as a whole, its just that my stove just stopped running. I'm just not used to it burning through it's little one bag hopper all @ once!

the "new" lennox pellet stoves are "made" by country stove, but they're built like the old advantage II-t (without the bay window). The t-300P was originally a wood stove built by earthstove and then lennox bought earth and turned that body into a gas stove and a pellet stove. Of all the T-300's I've ever seen its luck of the draw on whether yours works or not. I've seen some run flawlessly and some not run at all (for no reason that can be identified). I dislike having to lie down on the floor to adjust the damper, and possible burn your arm if youre not careful.
On the plus side, some of those old whitfields are tanks and cannot be killed (Advantage II-T ,and the Classic) and I think just about everyone has stolen something from the old whitfield design.

Status
Not open for further replies.