Whitfield pellet stove quits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

t_aumie

Feb 8, 2014
Oklahoma
I have a Whitfield pellet stove purchased in the early nineties. The sticker on the back is near illegible so I don't know what the model number is but the serial number is wh5195 I think. It is an almond colored enamel, free standing unit. I don't think they made too many of them and if I remember right, the place we bought it said it was the last year they made them like this. Since it was new, occasionally the unit would just stop, fan and auger both. It has become more regular of late. It may run for quite awhile or just a few hours before quitting. It will start again after cooling down so I imagine it's some type of overheat protection. I could sure use some help in figuring out what may be the problem. The place we bought it went out of business a couple of years after we bought it in Enid, OK and don't know who to call for service. Thank you

First of all will help if you can post a picture as someone should recognize the stove model and hopefully go about tracking down the reason for shutting down. When was the last time the stoves fans been cleaned and oiled?

If it was tripping the high limit it would only shut off the auger. The fans should continue to run to cool the unit down. My guess is you have a short . Check all the connections especially at the controller and distribution block. Pictures would sure help.

Sorry..finally figured out how to get pics from my phone to here. It is very heavy so I have never moved it out to clean. I will do what I can to get in and get that done and check all the connections as well. I will repost if this fails to solve the problem though, as I stated it has done this since it was new only more often of late. Aside from the fact that it sporadically quits and that we have to use some starter fuel to light it as it has no igniter, we have loved this unit. Thank you both!

Attachments

• 20140208_174359.jpg
    20140208_174359.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 139
  • 20140208_173604.jpg
    20140208_173604.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 110
  • 20140208_174334.jpg
    20140208_174334.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 126
Old school wiring a big plus for problem resolution. The room air fan looks like it is overdue for a cleaning and oiling that's in the picture. Its thermal overload may be triggered causing it to shut down. Just shooting in the dark but the exhaust fan is way up on the list for needing attention and if the stove has a vacuum switch, as soon as the exhaust fans quits so does the auger. This stove needs a good cleaning and oiling of the fan motors IMO. Hows the stove vented and been serviced lately?

I took the back off and cleaned it as well as I can. The fan has never been oiled and I'm not sure where to oil. I can't find the manual. I think the culprit may have been in part due to the fact that there is about a 2 1/2" cast iron cap under the exhaust cover. I took it off to discover it nearly full of ash. I used to clean that every year but for the last few completely forgot about it. It's been running for several hours now with no problem yet. So your diagnosis of the thermal overload is probably dead on for obvious reasons now. I will be more diligent with maintenance. It's been virtually trouble free except for the occasional shut down that it was easy to take it for granted. If you have any ideas where I might oil it that would help, and I truly appreciate you and w*wert taking the time to help idiots like myself along the way.

If that fan is a fasco or similar it will have a couple oil ports like pointed out in enclosed pictures. Will need to have them in an upright position to get oil into them and for the oil to get into the bronze bearings. You will need to get the fans out and probably take a good air jet to clean the motor and impeller etc. Good luck and stay warm

Attachments

• DSCN0367.JPG
    DSCN0367.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCN0368.JPG
    DSCN0368.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 85
Glad you figured it out. It can be nerve wracking sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.