Whitfield Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

malneb20

Nov 27, 2010
northern va
I just moved into a new home that im renting and it has a Whitfield pellet stove. It didn't work so I messed with it a little and found that the auger motor was bad. I've replaced that and for about a month it worked great! Until, one day I woke up for work and the stove was off. I went to turn the pellet stove back on and the auger light, instead of blinking, stayed on constant and the motor shaft had slipped out of its hole. So I pulled off the augor motor again to see if it was still turning while hooked up to power without any resistance and wasn't moving. This augor motor is brand new. Is the anyway it could have already went bad or is there a switch it tripped that wont let the augor turn on???

Any help would be appreciated

If the motor is off the stove and hooked up to power, it should run.

If it does not then the motor is bad.

Make sure that the auger is not jammed.

These motors will tollerate even a jammed auger with no problems (Usually)

Check it out further to see if there are other issues

Snowy

As Snowy said, if the power source you used was from a wall plug and NOT the 2 leads in the stove, then the auger motor is bad. If you tested it using the stove auger power leads, then it may not be the auger.

If you have a voltmeter, check that the auger power leads are getting 120v when the stove calls for pellets, or make a power cord "test" lead from an old lamp cord.

If there is no power at the auger leads, then other problems are there. Have you found out why the auger motor disconnected from the auger? Does the auger turn at all? (use pliers or vise grips)...maybe it was jammed.

Have you tried unplugging it to reset the control board? Any fuses on the board, and if so, are they blown?

Status
Not open for further replies.