Whitfield Profile 20 Auger Problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dwicks

Sep 27, 2010
Canada
Hi,

I am having some issues with my pellet stove and for the like of me cannot figure out what the problem must be! I have removed the auger at the back so to clean out the auger and to remove any possible jams. I have it re-installed the auger and the auger makes 2 complete revolutions and stops. If I turn the pellet stove off and then turn it back on it again it makes 2 complete turns and stops again. This was the same problem prior to me removing the auger for jams.

My pellet stove is a Whitfield Freestanding Model Profile 20 FS-2.

I appreciate any advice you can give me,

Thanks!

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

I'm not very well versed on your Whitfield auger problem, however I know that very shortly there will be several reply's here from the many knowledgeable guys who have worked on them for a long time and can help assist you in getting it running again.

Nicholas440 said:
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

I'm not very well versed on your Whitfield auger problem, however I know that very shortly there will be several reply's here from the many knowledgeable guys who have worked on them for a long time and can help assist you in getting it running again.
DITTO !!!!!! This is the place for information !

Is it igniting? Do you know if your igniter is attempting to light up the pellets?

I have the same stove and at start up auger has to turn nonstop until the pellet crate fills then auger stops for a while until pellets ignite. Once pellets ignite it will feed at the intermittent speed you have it set to. Hope this helps otherwise it could be a simple sensor or board. If it's not stopping and filling up to pour over the crate then it could be the board.

There will be more responses from people who actually work on pellet stoves that will give you additional information to help you resolve this.

BTW, are you letting it stay on longer then after you see that the auger stops. If not let it stay on for longer and watch it to see what happens, about 5 minutes. If you turn it on and auger turns enough to fill crate about half way then it WILL stop to let the igniter light those pellets first. Then the auger sets into the intermitent speed to feed the fire.

Wood Heat Stoves said:
send me a pm for a copy of the svc book.
but i'd guess pressure switch or photo eye issue

Is the photo eye just to see the fire so that auger will keep feeding it? If it sees no fire it will completely stop feeding and go into default mode. I thought that was it's purpose but I'm not a tech although I already had to pull it and clean it because pellets would stop feeding, then all was good again as it was completely covered in dust.

I asked if it was igniting for that reason though, to see if he had cleaned the photo eye if it does ignite.

But you say the pressure switch could also do that. Nice to know in case it happens to me one day.

Let us know the problem if you find the fix.

pelletnubi said:
Wood Heat Stoves said:
send me a pm for a copy of the svc book.
but i'd guess pressure switch or photo eye issue

Is the photo eye just to see the fire so that auger will keep feeding it? If it sees no fire it will completely stop feeding and go into default mode. I thought that was it's purpose but I'm not a tech although I already had to pull it and clean it because pellets would stop feeding, then all was good again as it was completely covered in dust.

I asked if it was igniting for that reason though, to see if he had cleaned the photo eye if it does ignite.

But you say the pressure switch could also do that. Nice to know in case it happens to me one day.

Let us know the problem if you find the fix.

those are just the most common issues after a dirty stove ime
systematic troubleshooting is the way to go

The auger not working usually has to do with. A dirty stove or vent which is not creating enough pressure to close the pressure switch. If is not closed then the auger stops. The photoeye located in the hopper is seeking uv light from the fire to let the control board know that yes there is fire. The photoeye needs this proof to switch the control board from start up to run mode. Does the auger feed pellets at all? Is there. Jam? Is there power going to the motor, is the motor bad?

d I am trying to get some info on my Profile 20...

I've had this stove for 3 years now and its been a Love / Hate relationship. Earlier this season I had to replace a Pressure Switch and it has been running great since.

Now I'm having a problem with Unburt pellets filling the grate and it creating allot of SOOT. I've found the stove is very finickey when it comes to pellets, the last Ton burnt well but this ton is not starting out too well. These pellets are quite a bit smaller and because of this I think they are feeding too fast... even when I run the stove on Low.

Do you know how I can adjust the feed rate of the stove?

Thanks,

Andy

Jerkyking said:
d I am trying to get some info on my Profile 20...

I've had this stove for 3 years now and its been a Love / Hate relationship. Earlier this season I had to replace a Pressure Switch and it has been running great since.

Now I'm having a problem with Unburt pellets filling the grate and it creating allot of SOOT. I've found the stove is very finickey when it comes to pellets, the last Ton burnt well but this ton is not starting out too well. These pellets are quite a bit smaller and because of this I think they are feeding too fast... even when I run the stove on Low.

Do you know how I can adjust the feed rate of the stove?

Thanks,

Andy

open up your damper a bit, or check to make sure the air channels behind the firebrick are clean. dont mess with the feed unless you know you have clean stove and damper open and still have the same issue.

Northern Canada said:
Hi,

I am having some issues with my pellet stove and for the like of me cannot figure out what the problem must be! I have removed the auger at the back so to clean out the auger and to remove any possible jams. I have it re-installed the auger and the auger makes 2 complete revolutions and stops. If I turn the pellet stove off and then turn it back on it again it makes 2 complete turns and stops again. This was the same problem prior to me removing the auger for jams.

My pellet stove is a Whitfield Freestanding Model Profile 20 FS-2.

I appreciate any advice you can give me,

Thanks!

Some Whitfields have a door switch and must be depressed inorder for the auger to run. At the very bottom of your door, you will see a rod that the door pushes in when closed . If this switch is not working, your auger will not run. There are a couple of things that would not allow the auger to turn, most have already mentioned alot. Try them one at a time and see how you make out.

Status
Not open for further replies.