Whitfield Profile 20 fuel feed trim

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kcan2014

Feb 14, 2010
central MA
I have a Whitfield Profile 20 FS-2 pellet stove about 3 years old which has been great. Over the last couple of months, it seems to be running through a 40 pound bag of pellets faster and faster. We only use the low setting which is suppose to be 1.5 lb/hr. The start of the heating season we were getting over 24 hours to a bag, now we are burning through a bag in about 18 hours. In the manual it states a couple of places to call a service tech to if you need to adjust the feed trim. On older models it seems the feed trim was on the control pad, but not with this model. Is this something I can do myself?

I have a 2002 profile 20 and my feed is on the bottom of the panel, behind a flip down door. Have you cleaned it i mean really cleaned (pulled the fans, auger, manifold)?

Might be the issue

Cliff

Thanks for the info. On the newer models there only a control button- slow/medium/fast. I think on the earlier models the trim was where you are talking about.

I have done the thorough cleaning; I know that would affect combustion and heat, but I don't know how that would affect pellet consumption. The stove burns clean and hot, just consumes pellets too fast on the low setting.

there is a little flip down panel where you can take voltage readings. about 1 inch up from bottom you will find the little door. then hit the calibrate button twice. and adjust fuel trim

Thanks for the tip. I took a quick look this morning and will try this tonight. Is the panel you are talking about the small blank plastic cover located below the blower control? It looks like there is a tiny slot that might be used to open it. Is the adjustment self-explanatory? Is it a clockwise/counter clockwise decision? Thanks again

yep thats the panel. when you open it you see a button that says calibrate, push it once and the red heat will stay lit. from there you press the heat and the blower to move trim up or down. when you hit the cal button again it will go to a combustion fan trim higher or lower. then hit cal. one more time and it will save it.

hey I got a question, have you ever had half pieces of pellets fall through your grate? I have this problem and every once in a while they will ignite in the ash bin underneath. which is only an issue in the shoulder seasons when the stove isn't constantly on. Im just trying to figure out if my combustion blower is getting weak, or if my grate is failing.. both expensive to be the wrong part.

Thx for the the explanation of the trim settings. It was explained to me once over the phone but stupid me did not take notes and my feeble brain forgot the procedure after I had done it once.

I have a Profile 30-FS2, and experienced the problem you had with a hot ember apparently smoldering in the the ash collection drawer/bin. My wife called me at work in a panic about smoke billowing out of the stove after she had shut it off before going to work. Thankfully this has happened only once in two years since I have owned the stove.

My biggest complaints with this this stove are:

1) pellets bounce out of the grate too often and collect on the surface around the ultragrate. When you crank up the heat to medium these often ignite and create a lazy secondary fire on the combustion floor.

2) mine has become a rattle trap. The two biggest culprits are the hopper lid and the ash cleanout slide you use to sweep the ash into the collection drawer/bin. I have fixed the latter by wedging a brick between the slide and the stove base, which I painted black with high-temp stove paint to make it look less obtrusive. I have not found a way to fix the harmonic hopper lid rattles except for giving the lid a good smack from time to time.

It looks nice, does its job okay, but is not really solid or well built (mexico). I would have chosen a different stove if I got a do over.

haha ya mine rattles a bit :) I give it a good smack here or there too.. the othere issuse with the pellets I have currently been putting some hardware cloth over the grate till I can figure out the cause. when I called tech support they didn't help much, couldn't give solid voltage, amps or much of any info!

Status
Not open for further replies.