Whitfield Profile 30 GFCI power cord

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stmar

Sep 12, 2014
Wyo
First start up of the season and my Whitfield did the same thing it has done for the last few years: It trips the power cord GFI, I turn off the stat unplug then replug the cord. Took 4 tries this year and usually it will work just fine for the winter. My question: How many people use a cord with a built in GFI? This was a cord that Whitfield sent as a recall. I have the original and will probably just use it if I have any problems. Also I looked for a replacement cord and all they listed were the non GFI like the original, I could not find a cord with a GFI built in, which was puzzling.

I find it odd that a pellet stove would require a GFI if the unit is properly grounded. GFI is primarily intended to prevent shock when using appliance around water sources.

It is most likely tripping due to the start of 1 or more motors. Motors can have a bit of leakage which can be interpreted by the GFI as a ground fault condition. I can't speak for why the Profile 30 would need a GFI but I have noticed that some GFI can trip much easier after successive trips. In other words it gets easier to trip the more its used.

If the GFI cord appears to malfunction one option is to replace the receptacle, in which the stove plugs, with a GFI outlet. They run about $13 at your local box store. That is, if you comfortable with electrical work.

Just really curious why a pellet stove would need a GFI.

The pellet stove exhaust and OAK vent are outside and subjected to the elements. It's conceivable, albeit very unlikely, that water can find it's way inside.

I have been trying to find out about this for a few years now and nobody has a good answer as to why Whitfield would send out these GFCI power cords, in fact I can't find anybody else that has one, I am starting to feel like a unicorn. And for it to only trip at the start of the season or after it has been unplugged for a time is another conundrum, that is why I think it is the cord and not the stove.

...And for it to only trip at the start of the season or after it has been unplugged for a time is another conundrum, that is why I think it is the cord and not the stove.
I would hypothesize that the auger motor it is much cooler then when run continuously so bearing and gearbox grease is thicker. On start up this causes the motor to draw a little more current thus creating more leakage current.

The pellet stove exhaust and OAK vent are outside and subjected to the elements. It's conceivable, albeit very unlikely, that water can find it's way inside.
So I guess in that case it would be a rust alert system? :)

Seems to me having a GFI on pellet stove would be problematic GFI does not like motors.

Just wanted to update: I replaced the GFCI power cord with a regular power cord and it has been working okay this season, burned about 1/2 ton so far with no issues. I purchased a 3' 14 gage cable to go from the stove to the surge strip.
Hope everyone has a warm and Merry Christmas, we may actually get some snow!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.