Whitfield Profile 30 giving me problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flem

Dec 12, 2009
Western MD
I am having problems with a weak flame and inconsistent pellet feed leading to a power fault with my Whitfield Profile 30.

Here is what I have done to try to remedy this:
1) Cleaned all parts of stove and exhaust thoroughly.
2) Checked seal around door.
3) Cleaned hopper bin and made sure auger was free.
4) Checked to make sure set screw on auger motor was tight.
5) Replaced photo eye.
6) Tried different brand of pellets. (I burn Lignetics.)
7) Increased the pellet feed calibration rate.
8) Checked to make sure the high pressure tap switch wasn't tripped and hose wasn't blocked.

Any suggestions?

Hello,

Do you have a meter that you can check for power on the auger motor when it is running. Mine was haveing problems and the auger motor would work fine for about 15 to 20 min then it would stop feeding pellets and go out. I pulled the motor off the auger cleaned up the gear case inside but the main problem i had was the armeture on the motor had a fibre washer on it that had been worn out over the years and the motor would warm up and then drag on the field coils. I made a new teflon washer to thrust up the motor armeture and it has been running trouble free now for the last three months. So put the meter on it and watch it it will bounce from no volts to 115 volts when the card calls for it to run. If it is sending a run signal and it does not turn then you have narrowed it down a bit anyway.

Thanks. I don't know alot about working on these motors, but I will try. I have heard similar problems with this fiber washer. What color is the washer? Blue?

When I took mine apart there was only the very thin washer left. I pulled the bearing cap off of the end of the motor and then made a washwer out of some teflon sheet i had laying around. Before i started the thing would move over a 1/16 of an inch up and down when i was done it would just move up and down enough to not create any drag on the armeture. Take a look and see what you get but if you have the auger working and then it starts to slow or just quite but is still getting a signal from the control to run then see how much you can move the motor in the coil up and down.

Status
Not open for further replies.