Whitfield Profile Need Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oldvette

Dec 30, 2010
Western Massachusetts
Hi Folks:

First post. I have a year 2000 Whitfield Profile pellet stove that will not continue to burn. Symptoms: Hit start (after unplugging then plugging it in to reboot) pellets trickle down and they ignite. Seems like an awful lot of pellets get dumped into the hopper then she lights up and burns really big time. I mean the flames are yellow but flares up so that is all you see in the viewing window. Then it burns down and goes out because the auger does not continue to feed.

What I have done to trouble shoot: I pulled off the back of the stove and vacuumed everything, pulled off the stove pipe and vacuumed it out, looked out the chimney and it is clear, opened the right side panel and vacuumed it out, I wiped the dust off the window for the pyro eye in the hopper, Inspected the door seal and it appears ok.

Both motors run fine, the igniter works, the auger feeds the pellets on start up. I have the Heat set on low, the blower on medium and I have jumpers on the back where the thermostat connects (the manual says that's fine).

I suspect an over temp or under temp switch is bad. But, I'm an aircraft mechanic not a pellet stove guy. Any thoughts, stove gurus?

Ralph

Flame sensor needs to be cleaned - I have the Traditions-II so I am not sure where the flame sensor is located on the Profile

Sounds like the stove may need a good cleaning also

Aaron

Thanks Aaron:

The stove is clean and I cleaned the flame sensor glass which is located in the hopper. Still does not continue to run after initial start up.

I appreciate your feed back.

Ralph

Aaron:

Thanks for the link. Very similar to the manual that came with the stove however I did not know and they do not mention that the firebricks were removable and must be removed to access cleaning ports behind. Mine is the Model 20.

Still unsure why it stops feeding but I will re-clean the flame sensor glass and sensor. I have a new auger motor assembly and igniter I bought when I bought the stove. I live in the boondocks and figured if something crapped out on a Sunday I'd be screwed so I asked the salesman what part or parts are most frequently replaced. He said auger motor/gearbox assembly and igniter.

Best Regards,

Ralph

Status
Not open for further replies.