Whitfield Quest auger motor problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dbscanlan

Feb 5, 2013
I recently had a problem with my auger motor not working. The old motor was getting power, but not turning. I assumed to the gears were jammed, since this is an older stove, I decided to install a new motor.

After installing the new motor and starting up the stove, the motor buzzes loudly each time the control panel sends power to rotate the auger, but the motor does not turn.

I unhooked the motor and tested the power being sent from the control panel and it seems to be reading 120 volts. To me it seems like everything is working as it should, so I'm baffled to why the motor is not turning. The only strange thing I noticed is that the auger light on the control panel is constantly slightly illuminated and gets brighter when the control panel sends power to the auger motor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

And your sure the auger isn't jammed? Did you ever take the old auger motor and hook it direct to 120v with an old lamp cord to see if it was still good?

try disconnecting the auger from the motor and turn the auger inside of the stove, if the auger is hard to turn there may be an obstruction or the auger plate bushing may be bad ( a common problem)

I did test the old motor to ensure it was bad. I also verified that the auger was not jammed.

Unfortunately, I assumed that the new motor was in working condition. I finally removed the new motor and hooked directly up to 120v and found out that it is bad. I'm in the process of returning and replacing the new motor.

Hopefully that will do it. Thanks for your replies.

I did test the old motor to ensure it was bad. I also verified that the auger was not jammed.

Unfortunately, I assumed that the new motor was in working condition. I finally removed the new motor and hooked directly up to 120v and found out that it is bad. I'm in the process of returning and replacing the new motor.

Hopefully that will do it. Thanks for your replies.
Always bench test any new component if possible......as you found out, even new ones can be NG.

Status
Not open for further replies.