Whitfield Quest damper plate broken

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

YHZ

Dec 3, 2016
Yes
I removed the combustion blower from my 20+ year old Quest and found damper plate had broken off from the rod that rotates to adjust it's position.
Looks like the weld corroded to the point of failure.

Can this be repaired or replaced?
I cannot find this assembly in any replacement or maintenance parts list.
Without the damper, the stove runs full out yet puts out only a small amount of heat.

Thanks in advance.

Pretty simple devise. Depending on how corroded it could well be welded or braized back together.
Its a simple slide and if set properly would not hardly ever need to be adjusted. So get it slid back into place and adjusted and probably forget it.

Last edited:
Reactions: DneprDave
Pretty simple devise. Depending on how corroded it could well be welded or braized back together.
Its a simple slide and if set properly would not hardly ever need to be adjusted. So get it slid back into place and adjusted and probably forget it.

Thanks for the quick response!
However my Quest does not have a slide damper on the exhaust side of the stove.

My damper is a plate that was welded to a shaft that was cable operated from the control panel. (see below, view from the Top)
Looks like a major tear down of the stove to remove the shaft and braze or weld a replacement.
I'm not even sure I can remove that part of the stove as the exhaust tube looks to be welded to the fire box.

Unfortunately, anyone who could service my stove is no longer around; and local dealers won't touch another brand.
I would like to find out if a repair is even possible, let alone worthwhile.

upload_2016-12-5_12-32-47.png

If the in-line exhaust damper is open and unrepairable, wondering if an intake damper would serve the same purpose? Both would slow the movement of air through the pot...

Also found this...http://pellethead.com/product/17350010-damper-kit-upgrade/ Appears to be for the Quest plus but you could contact the vendor for a conversation...

Last edited:
So you still have the shaft protruding out the top of the exhaust tube? Maybe get a needle nose vise grip to get a purchase on it and get it adjusted.
Yes it is going to be a pain to get fixed and the removal of the stove to a work shop will probably the best option but for now I think you would rather get a bandaid on it and run till spring?

So you still have the shaft protruding out the top of the exhaust tube? Maybe get a needle nose vise grip to get a purchase on it and get it adjusted.
Yes it is going to be a pain to get fixed and the removal of the stove to a work shop will probably the best option but for now I think you would rather get a bandaid on it and run till spring?

Here is an image of the exhaust vent with the combustion fan removed, as far as I can tell all four seams of the exhaust tube are formed or welded. Also is the rotating shaft that the damper plate was attached to.
Maybe I can retrofit a sliding damper.

Thank you for your feedback.

Attachments

• Quest exhaust tube.jpg
    Quest exhaust tube.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 166
If the in-line exhaust damper is open and unrepairable, wondering if an intake damper would serve the same purpose? Both would slow the movement of air through the pot...

Also found this...http://pellethead.com/product/17350010-damper-kit-upgrade/ Appears to be for the Quest plus but you could contact the vendor for a conversation...

I believe the damper needs to be in the exhaust for some back pressure, my auger was running at full speed yet the circulation air temperature was not real hot. I expect that the efficiency was way down while I was heating the back yard.
I will definitely touch base the pellet head people to see if they can help.

They may be my best option right now.
Thank you for your time and response.

I removed the combustion blower from my 20+ year old Quest and found damper plate had broken off from the rod that rotates to adjust it's position.
Looks like the weld corroded to the point of failure.

Can this be repaired or replaced?
I cannot find this assembly in any replacement or maintenance parts list.
Without the damper, the stove runs full out yet puts out only a small amount of heat.

Thanks in advance.

I had this happen to my Quest about 5 years ago. I removed the damper and pin that it was welded to, and took the two pieces to a welder that I knew. He welded them back together and it has been working steadily ever since. You do have to be pretty precise about it being welded back at the same angle that it was originally, so that when the cable is turned to fully closed, that the damper actually is in the fully closed position. Then of course, the variable open positions will work, as well. Good luck.