Whitfield Quest Insert Pellets Plugging UP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lchambers

Apr 2, 2009
Western Montana
I have a Quest installed in '94 and cleaned out all the exhaust tubes all the way to the chimney. It runs OK for a while, and then after several hours the pellets pile up and are not burned completely and keep backing up? I can't figure out why it's doing this?

Did you pull the inside brick out and clean the passages behind it? Is the damper moving properly?

lchambers said:
I have a Quest installed in '94 and cleaned out all the exhaust tubes all the way to the chimney. It runs OK for a while, and then after several hours the pellets pile up and are not burned completely and keep backing up? I can't figure out why it's doing this?

IMO, sounds like classic "dirty stove syndrome"....results in not enough air for complete combustion, and pellets pile up. You have to clean more than just the exhaust.....the entire interior of the stove needs it too. A good "leaf blower treatment" AFTER everything else is SPOTLESS will help too.

But since you've had the stove since '94, I would think you'd know all this already.........or maybe I'm missing something here. :blank:

ya macman is right, definitely an air issue...if all is clean properly, a possible bad exhaust blower? What is the flame like when it is burning?

Status
Not open for further replies.