Whitfield Quest Plus Freestanding-Combustion Fan Voltage Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bamboo

Nov 28, 2008
So. NH
Hi Folks, Due to poor burn characteristics, I checked the voltage on the fan side of the factory plug to my combustion fan with the fan running, and wonder what reading I should be getting. My reading (with the fan running) shows about 50 Volts. Is this Normal? The control board side of the plug (with the fan unplugged) reads about 110 Volts.
1. Does fan usage explain voltage drop?
2. Would poor fan motor windings explain the voltage drop and result in poor combustion characteristics due to reduced air movement volume?
3. Does this fan motor need to be replaced?
4. Do these voltage readings indicate some other problem, like in the control board rheostat perhaps?
5. Would it be reasonable to power this fan from another power source directly (bypassing the control board) to see if different behavior?
PS Fan tag says; 115 Volts 60 Hz 1.0 Amps 3000 RPM
I'm trying to get a more modern burn out of this stove. Not just a pretty flame to watch.
Thanks for all your help and suggestions,
Bamboo

Status
Not open for further replies.