Whitfield Quest Plus Won't shut down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luis Cruz

Jan 30, 2011
Wilmington, DE
Greetings everyone,

Just purchased a used WF Quest Plus (1998) and it was working just fine while I had it in the basement. Moved it upstairs to the first floor and the first thing I noticed is the auto igniter quit working. I can still fire it up with fire gel and it all works fine except the stove won't shut down. The only way to shutting it down is unplugging it from the wall electric socket. I searched through all the posts and some other sites and found that the low limit switch was the culprit. Replaced the switch with a new one ($48) and plugged back on to find out is doing the same thing. Took off (unplugged) this short orange looking hose that connects to the exhaust blower and blew air through it and the stove shut down, but if I let it go, it starts back up again. The stove is otherwise working fine, providing additional heat to the house which is wonderful. I'm fairly new to the Pellet Stove world and hope to have explained this good. Thanks for all your help.

Luis

Smokey, If I plug the stove back on it will continue to run. By disconnecting the orange hose from the back of the exhaust fan and sucking air on this hose, the stove will shut down, but as soon as I let the hose go the stove starts back up again. I think the vacuum switch is working since as soon as air is suck from it, it shuts down the stove which I think it should do that. The problem is that the stove does not shut down at all once I let go of the hose or any other way. Can't figure it out. This thing was working like a top when in the basement.

thanks,

Luis

The stove has three motors on it. Are you saying that the stove continues to burn or that not all of the motors stop?

If not all of the motors stop which one(s) still run.

The convection and combustion blowers should run until proof of fire says no fire then they should shut down.

The two blowers get their power from the control board.

Besides the various "safeties/snap discs/photo eyes" the controller also has a say in matters. It is possible you are looking at a controller that has gone pffft.

If you can isolate what is working from what isn't you may be able to repair instead of replace a non functioning controller.

Smokey, Thanks again.

Everything is working or as you stated, burning fine. The auger motor works, the convection and combustion blowers are running, they just won't shut down. I'm not sure if I have given it enough time to shut down either. This morning there were no pellets in the stove, although the burnt pot was full of burning ashes, but the exhaust pipe was cool enough to touch. If the low heat sensor shuts the stove off at approximately 110 degrees from what I have read, then something is wrong as everything stays running as it did this morning. Is there a time lapse that must take place before the blowers turn off, including the auger?

Luis

The auger should shut down as soon as you turn the stove off.

The blowers shut down when the temperature at the low limit switch drops below its turn on temperature less its swing.

Sounds like you have a messed up control board. Do you have the manuals for that stove?

Smokey, I do have manual for the stove. Read all the troubleshooting and it only indicates to see a qualified WF tech. I hope is not the control board, that thing costs over $300

Just wondering here if you let the blowers run long enough to shut down. My Quad takes at least 20 minutes to shut itself down, there are times when the blower will run 1/2 hour to get it cool enough to shut off.

Poderoso, Let's not hope that the control board is faulty. The previous owner, however, may have been fiddeling with the wiring... who knows. For instance by-passing a faulty lo-limit switch :roll:

I've attached the wiring diagram of a Quest stove which is identical to that of a Quest Plus. Please give it minute scrutiny and compare it to that of your stove.

There is a "one shot" timer ( app. 30 minutes delay ) built in the control board allowing start-up power to operate all components. This timer overrides the lo-limit switch for app. 30 minutes at start-up.
If this timer is "hanging", we certainly would experience an issue like the one you have on your stove... a very very rare fault on these controlboards IMHO. I've never heard of this type of failure.
As far as my experience goes it's normally the TRIACs controlling the fan motors that tend to "go south" on these control boards.

The Quest Plus is a high quality stove, a real work horse.
I also bought mine used and it is still working perfectly, so once you have found the exact source of the failure ( probably just a detail ) you will have a reliable heat source for many years.

Good luck :)

Bo

Attachments

• questwires'.jpg
    questwires'.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 487
Thank you for posting the wiring diagram Bo.

poderoso,

I suspect that Bo has placed his finger on one possible cause of your problem.

A faulty bypass timer stuck in bypass mode.

It is also possible that there is a wiring issue that moving the stove has caused, you might want to trace out the wiring in your stove with the power off of course we don't need a fried stove owner. Paying particular attention to the yellow and white wires.

hal.choate,

Glad you are picking up some information, every little bit helps.

Stovensen, Truly thanks for the diagram. I'll study it and test everything to make sure all is connected. I'll have to wait until is cool down as I left it running all day and still running. This stove does a really good job at keeping my house warm without having to use oil. I'll keep you posted.

thanks again,

Luis

Thanks all for lending a hand at my situation. I'm waiting for the stove to cool down a bit before I can get behind and check the wiring harness. I think to be able to track down this issue. I'll report back in case some one has the same issues in the future.

Luis

poderoso said:
Stovensen, Truly thanks for the diagram. I'll study it and test everything to make sure all is connected. I'll have to wait until is cool down as I left it running all day and still running. This stove does a really good job at keeping my house warm without having to use oil. I'll keep you posted.

thanks again,

Luis

My pleasure, only glad to help :lol: Besides, we certainly have a mutual interest in keeping our stoves running.
Exchanging our experiences on this magnificent forum is a good and wonderful way to go. Nice people in here :)

Today I did a little home work and realize that the wiring diagram of a Quest differs from that of a Quest Plus... the overall routing is the same, but our Quest Plus stoves have two hi-limit switches and our convection motors only have two wires attached ( The Quest has three )

I also found a small treasure inside my stove... on the inside of the side panel, above the control board, the wiring diagram has been attached by the factory ;-)

I took a photo of it and attached it to this post, then you have a digital version of it, too.

Still, the issue you have on your stove is a bit of a mystery. I'm surprised that it didn't help to change the lo-limit switch.

BTW, do you still have the old lo-limit switch? It could be interesting to know if it is faulty at all. With an ohmmeter it's easy to check... @ room temperature it should be open ( infinite ohm reading ) and @ 140 °F it should close ( zero ohm reading ).

The most efficient troubleshooting as for the controlboard would be to swap yours with mine... does the fault follow your board, then we know for sure what's wrong.
Too bad that we're not neighbours, it could have been very interesting to check this out ;-)

I'm excited to hear what you find out. Good luck and keep us posted

Bo

Attachments

• DSC00991'.jpg
    DSC00991'.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 764
Stovenson

Thanks for that Quest Plus wiring diagram. The owners manual is so directed to the lowest common denominator it is pathetic. As I recall, and since I haven't looked at it for a while I don't remember, the manual John Gualt sent me wasn't much more informative. In any case most of the questions I may have had have been answered in this forum whether I asked them or not.

I'd be extremely interested in seeing the wiring diagram of the control panel. Undoubtedly it will never happen but one can wish upon a star :cheese: I suppose.

If the stove is allowed to cool off completely (dead cold) unplugged. Will the stove start running again when plugged back in.

If the stove starts upon being plugged into the 120V then the start circuit has an issue.

Now, does this stove have a pushbutton to activate the start sequence?? or does this stove have a touch pad ???

If the button got poked hard during the move ??? or ?? this could be a possibility.

If the start switch is a little push button, you may be able to unhook it and then see what happens

My bet is that the start circuit has become "Stuck" hard to say at this point if its a bad controller or the start switch.

The start circuit as previouslly mentioned is a one shot timer that once activated routes power around the low limit switch long enough to allow the fire to burn, during which time (30 minutes) the low limit switch will close and then power the stove.

If the momentary circuit that activates that timer has gone south, therein could be the issue.

The touch pad type setups are not as robust as the older ones with an actual button.

If you have the touch pad, look the face over and especially the start button (Bump)

These pads have a little set of contacts under each "Bump" and the little bump when pressed deflects inside and makes contact.

If the start "Bump" looks as though its been flattened or pushed in, this would explain the problem.

I am not sure if that sort of thing can be fixed, but you will at least have something to look at.

I doubt that your chasing wiring issues, since the stove worked ok before the move. Wiring on these things is pretty trouble free.

Stop the fuel feed, allow the fire to burn out, then unplug the stove.

Let it cool down to nearly COLD, then plug back in, if the exhaust fans and such start right off, then the start circuit has got to be the culprit.

Proceed from there

Keep us posted

Snowy

Good evening everyone. First of all, I want to thank everyone here for the patience and great advice given. Now to the stove. I let run all night until this morning and still had enough pellet to run for a couple hours. Went to work and 10 hours went by. On my return the stove was on a "On and Off cycle" meaning that it would come on and shut off by itself. One new development this time was the fact that the Auger motor was off. Before, the auger and both fans would be running without stopping at all. Pressed the Start Button and it started normally as it should, still it was cold, not pellets burning whatsoever and it continued to run. Traced all the wires, including the yellow ones and everything looks intact. Disconnected the yellow wire from the circuit board and plug back on, then it started to do the "On and Off cycle" again. Unplugged it from the wall and turn back on, this time running normal, cold, but it stays running. I left it like that for about 45 minutes and it still running.

At least I know that I must wait long enough for the stove to shut down. The reason I say this is because the Auger motor did shut off, which is good.
Next I will do the checks you all described above, especially the one on the control board. This control board is the type with the touch pad, there are three buttons, one for the Start (top right hand side), one for the fan blower (bottom left), and one for the Exhaust Fan Blower (top left hand side). I actually took the control board out today and inspected all wire connections and it look intact.

Did another test with the Orange Hose behind the Exhaust Fan Blower, by blowing through the hose back to the small vacuum sensor the stove shuts down, but once I let it go its starts back up. I think this sensor is working as it should.

It may be that the control board could be the culprit. I will check tomorrow once is cool down. Right now she is keeping me warm which is very important and the Oil Tank still have full, I am not planning to purchase any more oil for the rest of the winter.

Take Care,

Luis

poderoso said:
One new development this time was the fact that the Auger motor was off. Before, the auger and both fans would be running without stopping at all.

Take Care,

Luis

Hi Luis,

That's good news. And the stove can keep you warm... good news, too.

But, from the scenario you describe something points in the direction of a periodic failure in the control board or its connectors, which is why, of course, that you inspected all the connectors and wiring.

The source of this periodic failure now seems to come from inside the control board. :shut:

With a little luck it's just a cold soldering that could be fixed easily once you get close to the pcb inside.

I hope you have a magnifying glass and some soldering gear ;-)

Bo

Ro3bert said:
I'd be extremely interested in seeing the wiring diagram of the control panel. Undoubtedly it will never happen but one can wish upon a star :cheese: I suppose.

Me too for sure. I've found a photo of the pcb of an Advantage II... I believe it's the same stove Snowy Rivers has.

We might be able to figure something out based on the components we see on the pcb... the relay for instance. Now, I know that this isn't a Quest Plus pcb, but what if a relay also is used to switch the start-up power ( controlled by the one shot 30 min. timer circuit ) on the Quest Plus?

A relay is an electromechanical component prone to become unstable ( arcing etc. ). This could explain the fault on Luis' Quest Plus stove.

Right now I'm sitting here looking at my dear stove running so perfectly keeping us warm... little does it know that I really feel like shutting it down and pulling out the control board in order to scrutinize its pcb :coolgrin:

Perhaps some forummembers have examined the pcb of the control board and will chime in with their results.

The electromechanical relay could have been replaced/upgraded with an all solid state version on the newer Quest Plus stove. Let's hope not... because that relay on the photo looks like a standard on shelf type.

Bo

Attachments

• advantageII_1989-1990 W2 blackfaced_2525''.jpg
    advantageII_1989-1990 W2 blackfaced_2525''.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 318
  • advantageII_1989-1990 W2 blackfaced_2525'''.jpg
    advantageII_1989-1990 W2 blackfaced_2525'''.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 309
Good morning everyone,

I'm back again. No new developments as the stove has been running all day and all night without stopping, but mainly because I won't let it. The Control Board is easily accessible and I will look at it closer. I'm very curious about the start button mentioned on one of the posts. This is one thing I really need to look at. I also believe that it is something on the control board. Bo, please don't take yours out, I really would not want you to take away the warmth coming out your stove. Enjoy it.

thanks for all the help. I will keep everyone posted.

Luis

Status
Not open for further replies.