Whitfield self-igniter problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beeman

Nov 8, 2007
washington
I have a whitfield advantage plus, the problem is in the igniter. It has been replaced but it still will not heat up? There is a plastic junction box that the wires from the control panel goes to then out to the igniter,Do you think that is the problem, our is it in the control panel?

That black plastic box. I believe it's the Whitfield Fast Fire Timer Block, Part # 12150210, This part is not cheap. I think it's around $ 170.00. I would get a meter and check the voltage at start
up on the tabs going to the element. this would rule out a bad timer block.

yes check voltage
Rare but they do go out
I have some in stock

I think there was a technical bulletin that had dealers rewiring the stove a bit a bypassing the timer block. Check with a dealer that has the tech manual for that stove.

Shane said:
I think there was a technical bulletin that had dealers rewiring the stove a bit a bypassing the timer block. Check with a dealer that has the tech manual for that stove.

Shane
If you can find a copy of that let me know
I have never seen or heard of this.
How does the ignitor know when to shut off?
Is the ignitor wired into the start up Mode?

I don't have access to the manuals anymore or I would dig it up. I thought about it last night and it was for upgrading to the new board for the II-T not the Plus, sorry for the bad info everyone. It was a bulletin put out around 2000 because the dealer we took over the whitfield line from gave it to me and said it was very important to do the rewiring or the boards would short out within 6 months.

I guess then the bulletin would apply. It gave a wiring diagram and had you bypass the timing block and change the position that the ignitor wires hooked into the terminal block. I'll ask my little brother if he might be able to get a copy of it for me to scan. I used to run copies of it and send it with the guys when they went to swap ADVII-T boards so they could confirm the wiring.

Shane said:
I guess then the bulletin would apply. It gave a wiring diagram and had you bypass the timing block and change the position that the ignitor wires hooked into the terminal block. I'll ask my little brother if he might be able to get a copy of it for me to scan. I used to run copies of it and send it with the guys when they went to swap ADVII-T boards so they could confirm the wiring.

You might be thinking of the other Timer block that was on some of the older Advantage stoves
Some of the Older NON ignitor stove had some kind of Start up module (not sure what it was)
It was only used on a few hundred of the advantage II stoves they dont list it in the parts list.

I think the wires go to the Auger and pressure switch.
you have to remove that when you install the new control board
I have this noted on my website under the control board to tell people to follow the wiring diagram Linked on the website by the control board.

What we are talking about on this tread is the Ignitor timer that ALL the PRE Profile stove need
it turns the Ignitor on for 10 minutes.

You're right. My firstign of rust. Guess I've lost my superhuman installer/technician powers. I feel myself weakening into..... into an average pencil pushing consumer. Oh crap.

Shane said:
You're right. My firstign of rust. Guess I've lost my superhuman installer/technician powers. I feel myself weakening into..... into an average pencil pushing consumer. Oh crap.

That is to funny
I feel the same way sometimes when I dont get out and do service and installs I loose it.

Status
Not open for further replies.