Whitfield Serial #WH42910, UltraGrate & Low Setting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Two Flints

Oct 31, 2008
Northern Maine
Hi,

I have the Whitfield Advantage II-T F/S Pellet Stove, Model # WH42910. I recently installed the Ultra Grate and have been experiencing a "new" problem. When I run the pellet stove at auger setting #2 or higher, it works fantastic. However, before bedtime, after dropping the auger setting down to #1, there is a slow build up of pellets in the Ultra Grate, partially unburned, the Ultra Grate holes apparently become blocked and the build up of pellets and ash becomes even greater.

Anything I can do to prevent the problems with auger setting #1?

Thanks,

Two Flints

probably need to open up your damper just a bit, or switch pellets to something with a lighter (weight wise) ash. You'll know you have the damper set accordingly when you have some "dancing" pellets in the burnpot, but not "jumping" out of the burnpot.

Hi Delta T,

Thanks for the suggestion. But, I've done the damper adjustment, and have it all the way out and I really get a nice jumping flame. At setting auger setting #2 the pellets burn just fine, and I can still see the bottom of the Ultra Grate; no build up whatsoever. Problem develops when I drop the auger setting to #1 and the build up begins!

Two Flints

I got the same stove but an insert. I've had the same problem for years. I would try closing the damper somewhat so the burn pot gets less air. Thats what I always do and it works for me everytime.

Hi Cincinnati Kid,

Your suggestion "...try closing the damper somewhat so the burn pot gets less air" seems contrary to what I should be doing, but I'll give it a try tonight Can you explain why you think that might be the answer to my problem? I would have thought that with more air getting to the burn pot (damper pulled out as I have it), my fire would burn hotter and with fewer pellets coming into the burn pot because of my #1 auger setting, they would not build up in the burn pot.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Two Flints

Two Flints,
When I had the problem, the pellets would pile up on the sides of the burn pot. Eventually, the fire would go out and I'd be left with a full burn pot of pellets. This was only occuring on setting # 1. The owners manual indicates when the pellets pile up, increase the combustion air. I would do this and the problem would get worse.

I happened to be talking with a friend of a friend who has the same stove we do. I told him about the problem and he said the stove was getting too much air. He suggested I reduce the airflow which I did. Guess what? The problem was solved immediately.

Everytime I start this stove, I have to push the damper in to almost a fully closed position. After the stove is burning for a few hours, then I need to pull the damper out to give it some more air. Also, as I increase the pellet feed, I also have to increase the airflow.

Please let me know if closing the damper helps on pellet feed # 1.

your combustion blower motor may be getting "tired". It happens. Lube up the motor in that little drip hole and see if that helps. You may just need a new motor. After years of heat and such the gausel force of the magnets just gets lower, then the motor spins slower....you get the picture. Assuming of course that you have actually cleaned EVERYTHING, not just the firebricks and burnpot.

Thanks Delta-T,

Hope it isn't the combustion motor; yup, I've oiled it periodically as the manual states to do. The combustion motor seems to be working Ok at all the other auger settings; just not the #1 auger setting. Why would this be the case, if the combustion motor is faulty??

BTW, read your signature. Is this your grille?

ScottysGrille2.jpg

Two Flints

ummmm, no, thats not my grill, and suddenly i feel so inadequite. (sniffle sniffle- off to the far corner of the room to weap to myself)

Delta-T,

Sorry about that. Just thought our grilles were one and the same. What about my combustion motor questions, or are you still too upset to answer my questions?

Two Flints

Whats the difference of the ultra grate to the regular grate?, mine was built in 1999 and i think i have a ultra grate?, i never had much problem burning on low for the past 10 yr's, i burn 95% of the time on 1 lite heat setting...why waste pellets?, anything above 3 would be too hot and the pellets in the hopper get pretty warm....

Hi Pellet King,

I, too, have the original burn pot. It has a bunch of small holes on the sides and bottom surface for ??air circulation and a tube that extends out from the back side of the burn pot to the exhaust hole. The Ultra Grade has far fewer holes on the sides and no pipe at all extending into the exhaust hole. It has a bottom made up of ??ribs which is more open than the holes of the original burn pot.

I decided to change over to the Ultra Grate thinking that it would improve air circulation and allow my pellets to burn better in the burn pot. I'm still trouble shooting my new Ultra Grate. Although last night, it did very well with a damper rod pushed in so that it extends out from the stove side about 2" My pellets could be the problem; still trouble shooting.

Two Flints

I can't rightly explain why the Advantage decides to not want to run on low, but I've seen it many times. Just out of curiousity what pellets are you burning? Highly recommend a well made soft wood pellet for those stoves. Whenever someone gets this problem, and I suggest changing the motor there is always scepticism. "Seems to be working fine". The fuel to air ratio for good combustion is relatively specific, and the amount of air required to rush through the burnpot to "remove" the ash and clinker is above and beyond that. I'm sure you can see that if you lose even a portion of that air volume and velocity that things can get whacky. Do check the funny gasket setup on the damper plate itself. Maybe its askew and interfering. Make sure your burnpot seats well into the hole. I bet you can find someone to bench test the motor to ensure that it runs at full RPM ( i think the are supposed to be 3000rpm). YOu might want to pick up a new motor regardless, along with some other random odd parts because they are going to get scarce (Lennox stopped supporting the older stoves).

BTW, after a good cry about the grill, I pulled myself back together. I think I'm ok now. Only time will tell if the trauma is lasting.

I only see after burning all week straight some clinker buildup in the right front corner, make sure you dont have the pot backwards, the slot opening must face you, it's for the tool they gave you to remove it if still hot.

On my stove I had to adjust the combustion air motor and auger speed............ plus a good cleaning with leaf blower

MY stove advantage ll-T with the ultra grade 36 hour burn on low never goes out

Status
Not open for further replies.