whitfield shut off problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mowazee

Nov 18, 2014
Newburgh Ontario
My whitfield advantage 2 will shut off after 30 minutes. We have replaced the snap switch on the side opposite the control board. We have taken the control board in to get checked and they say it is fine. I am so frustrated , does anyone have any ideas before I have to call for service

What model stove? On my Advantage II, I had to replace the low limit switch this season. The switch is located on the exhaust blower on the stove, unless you have a different model. When you first turn the stove on, it goes into a 30 minute stay up cycle. However, after the 30 minutes, if the stove doesn't detect that exhaust temps are up around 140 degrees, it shuts down. Edit, just realized you said advantage 2. I would check that switch.

Easy enough to jump around that switch Ranger mentioned for testing purposes. Also known as proof of fire. Doesn't take much ash to insulate that switch and make it not work so at least a good cleaning of it is in order. Good luck and Welcome.

Easy enough to jump around that switch Ranger mentioned for testing purposes. Also known as proof of fire. Doesn't take much ash to insulate that switch and make it not work so at least a good cleaning of it is in order. Good luck and Welcome.
Also, if you replace it, do NOT put RTV on the flange. It insulates very well and the switch won't work. Ask me how I know.:p

Also, you can bench test the low limit switch with a lighter. You can hear it click shut when heated. You can verify that with a continuity meter.

DSCN0515.JPG Better picture of switch placement

What model stove? On my Advantage II, I had to replace the low limit switch this season. The switch is located on the exhaust blower on the stove, unless you have a different model. When you first turn the stove on, it goes into a 30 minute stay up cycle. However, after the 30 minutes, if the stove doesn't detect that exhaust temps are up around 140 degrees, it shuts down. Edit, just realized you said advantage 2. I would check that switch.
I have already replaced this switch and it still shuts off. Any ideas?

Jump the switch, if it works that way, your switch (the new one) is bad. Just know that the stove will have to be unplugged for it to turn off while the switch is jumped. If it still shuts down after being jumped, it's probably the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.