Whitfield shutting off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wert

Nov 27, 2010
Hudson Valley NY
Hi, My Whitfield advantage ll is acting up. I cleaned it 3 days ago, started it today and it shuts
off after 20 mins. Both fans seem to be operating fine. The auger is feeding fine also. For some reason the power cuts out after 20 min. or so
I also cleaned the exhaust last weekend. WTF. Thanks
Gene

Check your wiring and tubing to the vacuum switch. You may have disturbed something or plugged a passage. Does all the power go off, or does it just stop feeding pellets?

Check and clean the photoeye. Sounds to me if the stove keeps shutting off after about 20 minutes, most likely a dirty photoeye.

CJ, excuse my ignorance, where is the photo eye?
Heat seeker. all electric shuts down.
Thanks Guys.
Gene

The photoeye is the sensor that sees the flame and tells the stove to go from ignition mode to run mode. If the photoeye doesnt see the flame, the stove will never get into run mode. The photoeye is most likely located in the hopper. There should be a panel in the middle of the hopper held on by three nuts. remove the three nuts and the cover will come off and the photoeye is right there. If it is not in the hopper it is hiding in the back of the stove. The photoeye should be cleaned a minimum of once a year.

Heat Seeker. Your The Man. I checked the vacuum switch and it is fine, but next to it, the switch on the exhaust fan,
was not in place. hooked it up and I'm back in business. I did run my shop vac in that location last weekend and must
have knocked it off. I dont know why it wasn't screwed into the exhaust housing. Thanks
Gene

You're welcome. Glad you got 'er done! :coolsmile:

CJ-SR4ever, I have the manuals (PDF) for the Advantage II and don't recall reading anthing about a photo-eye. Did I miss it or might it not actually have one? And how about the Advantage II-T? I assume they are 2nd generation stoves and may have preceded photo-eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.