1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

whitfield traditions t300p

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by trush, Mar 30, 2011.

1. trush

trush New Member

Loc:
    central bucks pa
    just picked up a used whitfield traditions t300p pellet stove anyone know anything about this stove? tips.. ??

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pastera

pastera Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SE Mass
    I have the Lennox T300P - pretty much the same stove just Lennox took over

Stove responds well to the leaf blower cleaning method

Pull the baffle
    pull ash dump slider
    clean pellet grate
    clean the firebox
    clean the heat exchanger tubes
    open the damper completely
    run a brush through the exhaust
    with the door open hook leaf blower in vacuum mode to exhaust - run until exhaust is clear
    stuff a rag into the exhaust port at the bottom right of the heat exchanger - run the blower again
    move rag over to lower left port in exchanger - repeat ...
    pull rag
    replace baffle
    close ash dump
    replace pellet grate - easy to install backwards if your not careful
    empty ash pan
    reset damper

turn on stove and enjoy

To start if you run out of pellets, just fill the grate to just under the top air holes and turn on - no need to start and restart to fill the auger as the manual states.

Aaron
  3. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Remember the leaf blower gets used outside of the house in vacuum mode.

You can also use a very strong shop vacuum in place of the leaf blower, just don't hook it up to blow air through the hose (yep it has been done on accident) otherwise a big huge cloud of soot will make a mess of your house.
  4. Garjan111

Garjan111 New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Ohio
    ha ha smokey. Is that how you got your name?

Gary
  5. SmokeyTheBear

Loc:
    Standish, ME
  6. Garjan111

Garjan111 New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Ohio
    Oh my. You can bet if I did that I wouldn't be posting any pictures or telling anyone.
  7. trush

trush New Member

Loc:
    central bucks pa
    i noticed the stove i got does not have firebrick around the sides and the back ...should it be run without ?? i vented 3/4 the way up the chimney adapted a 4" ss flex pipe to the 3" t that came with i have it sitting in front of a fireplace so its going up the chimney
  8. SmokeyTheBear

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    The manual should tell you if that fake stuff is decorative or required for proper functioning. You can also contact Lennox the current holder of the Whitfield brand.

ETA: While some manuals indicate a partial lining is ok, from a purely operational view it can also cause a lot of mess to accumulate between the liner and chimney depending upon how good a job you do with blocking things off you can wind up with the mess dripping trough the block off and into the fireplace opening etc ...

The lining really should extend to the top of the chimney and have a properly fitted chimney cap, followed by the vent termination. That keeps the crud out of any areas where things can drip back down where you will not be happy having the mess.