Whitfield WP2 Advantage Free Standing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LazyJ

Nov 26, 2016
Idaho
Hello all. I am new to this sort of thing, but I am interested in learning more about the performance and install of a WP2 Advantage Free Standing Pellet Stove I have recently acquired. Could any one please tell me what the performance rating per sf I can expect to heat with this stove? I realize it depends on some different factors, but in general terms would be appreciated. Also, feel free to share thoughts and history on this model of stove. I am just in the early stages of setting it. Taking out a smaller Whitfield WP4 Quest, in hopes to generate more heat in the house.

Thanks Lake Girl! Darn, I was hoping that due to the physical size difference it would be a better performer than just +/- 5000 btu's (not sure what that means exactly). Perhaps I should keep the Quest in place since the Advantage 2 has a higher exhaust than the Quest, which will require a new wall penetration and patch repair to the existing Vent hole. Is the small gain in btu's worth my time?

How marginal is the Quest on heating? 5,000 btu/hour extra on high is a positive shift up but only you can figure out whether it is worth the repair job.

The Quest WP4 is set up as a corner unit with horizontal exhausting thru the wall. The existing exhaust Wall thimble is set up at 11.0" OC from floor protection and the new (well new to me) Advantage 2 exhaust is at 17.5" OC from the floor. I am told that stove pipe can be horizontal or can go up-slope, but never go down-slope to vent, which makes perfect sense for draw. thoughts?

Even horizontal installs are supposed to have a slight incline on the install ... Does the current stove have an OAK? If not, you can reduce the size of the current exhaust so it houses the OAK and go higher to accommodate the Advantage exhaust.

Lake Girl, no OAK (Outside Air Kit, I presume) on existing. I still need to raise the 3" Wall Thimble, from 11" OC to 17.5" or greater right? I don't understand how I can reduce the size of exhaust from 3" if I add an OAK, but I am going to add the OAK on this one for hopefully getting best efficiency.

Thanks Gavin641. I wish it was originally set as an up & out! It would have made it much easier to set this larger stove. I would go up & out, but I am trying to keep the aesthetics, best I can, interior & exterior, as it is a rental. So, I can leave the existing 11" in place and cover it over with sheet metal so both (old 11" & new 17.5" thimbles) appear to be one piece/penetration.

I don't think it is worth it.But if you do,consider putting the vent up higher,in case of changing stoves again.Up and out,high enough for clearances outside to only have to stick straight out is ideal,legal outside,and less chance of any smoke inside upon a power outage,better draft,and gained heat from 4-5 ft of pipe inside.

Thanks Bob bare! Funny, I was just thinking that same thing, "should I just go up & out, in the case a different stove goes in down the road?" All you said makes good sense. 5,000 btu/hr converts to roughly 200sf space, correct? I am not sure this is all worth the struggles.

I think I will just leave the smaller Quest in place. What is the best product to seal the air space gap between wall thimble and vent pipe?

Hard to relate btu's to actual cubic foot of heating,too many variables,but for the expense,and both being older stoves,and the one in place runs and is reliable,you really have to judge,especially winter is here.Maybe redo your vent next summer,price shop for the parts,no rush.Just by going up and out you will gain some heat.Store the other one for now.

Lake Girl, no OAK (Outside Air Kit, I presume) on existing. I still need to raise the 3" Wall Thimble, from 11" OC to 17.5" or greater right? I don't understand how I can reduce the size of exhaust from 3" if I add an OAK, but I am going to add the OAK on this one for hopefully getting best efficiency.
Poorly worded ... reduce the size of the current hole to accommodate the flex line for the OAK. Install the exhaust higher up. There was a thread recently where someone had a custom made thimble cover made ... for the same reason. New stove exhaust outlet higher up.

Status
Not open for further replies.