Whitfield WP2 Advantage II

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mwelliswa

Dec 18, 2008
WA
I'm also new to this forum and here because I pulled the ultimate bonehead last night. My stove would not start to what seemed like a lack of air flow through the unit. I started by cleaning the chimney cleanout thinking it was plugged, NO. I then noticed that when the unit was turned on the combustion fan was not turning but was very hot. So I took the combustion fan apart and, what do you know, found a dead bird wedged in the motor fan, unbelievable. This is where the bonehead trick occurred, when putting the combustion fan back in the unit, I struck my socket rachet accidently on the "low limit disc" lead located on the fan piping. I should have unplugged the unit. Needless to say the stove gave me a refibulator jolt and spark. Now the unit will not turn on at all and shows no life. I checked the plug breaker and there is no problem there. For the life of me I can not find an internal fuse on the unit, is there one? could it be the "current sensing relay" or a burned control board? can either be tested? any help here would be appreciated. I don't think I will ever forget to unplug the unit before cleaning, fixing, or otherwise. I have a feel this may be an expensive lesson. ARGH. Help. Thanks in advance.

Sorry to learn of your troubles - not exactly a good deal but a lesson learned non the less. I would agree w/ TJ, check the fuse on the bottom edge of the control board, for your sake and the holiday season - hopefully it's a blown fuse and a replacement fuse will make all well, if not, it may mean a control board replacement. From the sounds of your statement, "a current sensing relay" , if your stove has one, means that you still have the original or old style dial controller. If, and hopefully not, you in fact have shorted the controller, means a upgrade control board to the new "touch pad' control board design and this will require a little re-wiring to make the stove compatible to this "new style" controller. This, if needed, is not rocket science and can be done with a little guidance. Should you desire, or need tech help, I would be glad to offer my assistance as I am very familiar with this stove.
Good luck to you and Merry Christmas,
Stove Doctor

Status
Not open for further replies.