Whitfield wp3 hopper smoking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenles

Mar 21, 2009
Oregon
I have a Whitfield WP3. There is smoke in the hopper. The pellets are about a third full if that makes any difference. I noticed it a couple of times before but it was only an intermittent thing and seemed to happen when the pellets were extremely low. Now I can't run my stove. What can the problem be?

I just saw your post. If you haven't already solved your problem I may be able to help you. A few questions, how old is your Whitfield,is it a free standing or insert. It sounds like your stove needs a thorough clean out or you have a restriction in the exhaust vent. I started selling and servicing Whitfields In 1988, I recondition used ones now and I don't think there was ever a better, simpler stove made.

Hi, and thank you for the reply. I just haven't been running my stove lately. I figured I would get into it this summer. Any way it is free standing. I don't know how old it is but it is a prodigy wp3. The serial # is wp01512. I could see smoke coming out the door seal and replaced that but it is definitely coming out the hopper now and from the looks of it, soot around the hopper lid it has been doing that to some extent for a while. This was installed into an existing chimney that was used for a wood stove. It is 8" and the 4" vent was fed into that. I can see into the larger vent from a cleanout and it is clear but maybe there is an obstruction below that in the 4". I haven't taken the time to look yet.

OK, that helps a lot, I think your stove was made pre 1994. the first year model did not have a fan on the exhaust, the next year Whitfield added a small fan right before the stove exhausts into the pellet vent pipe. If you have the stove that was made before they added the exhaust fan you need at least 10" of pellet vent extended up into the eight inch wood stove pipe in order for your stove to draw correctly.

As the four inch vent gets hot it, causes a negative pressure on the stove, an helps draw the air through your stove. It sounds like the exhaust is taking the path of least resistance and flowing through the feed tube and out the hopper. You can also reach me at pelletstoveguys.com or call me at 916*265*0224 good luck,

Robin McDonell

Thanks Robin, I will check it out. The 4" vent goes up about 3 feet, elbows to right angle for about 18" then elbows up into the old vent. It only started smoking this year so I will check the 4" for abstructions and clean it thoroughly. We only go through about 10-15 bags a year and we had it cleaned 4 years ago so maybe a little bit of build up is too much. It will be awhile before I get to this so I will keep your contact info in case it doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.