who’s ready for spring time?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RIDGERUNNER30

Feb 7, 2009
Eastern, Kentucky
hey members here in my part of the woods it has been a chore keeping two stoves going, most of the time here jan and feb are your coldiest months, buy last of nov and all of dec were cold and had alot of snow for this area. been wanting the weather to break so i can start back cutting and spilting and I been wanting to build me tool shed and put out a garden this spring. what about you guys whats on your spring list to do?

id love to get some wood split and stacked but ski season is on and i dont want it to end. 2 stove house here, but only one is a 24/7 burner. have a great weekend. pete

get the garden going. fishing. have some daylight after work.

I currently have onions, lettuce, broccoli, and cauliflower under growlights in the basement beside the woodfurnace. They will go out sometime in march. I'm getting ready to order some new seed and maybe try some new things this year. I've had enough with the snow and cold.

I love this cold weather baby. Bring on the snow! As for my spring time plans..get the yard back in order, get the pool fixed and get the boat motor ready for some fishin.

Want to get the garden going pretty well this year. Do at least one more raised bed. Re-arrange the fencing around the garden.
I need to cut more wood, but I think that will be all spring, summer, and fall. Got some trees around the yard and garden that need to come down.
Need to do some trim painting on the pole barn and house.
Would like to pull the stove room apart and reno that.
Before next winter, would like to change the Class A 8" to 6", but need a new ceiling box, etc. to do that.
Last time I was in the attic, I had a minor panic attack, so not sure I'll get to that this year. :ahhh:
None of this includes the stuff I'd like to get to in the shop.
Walking the path yesterday, I was thinking how nice it'll be once the temps warm to the 40's and above.
Springtime could start tomorrow. I'd be fine with that. I'm still enjoying the fires though.

We have had a pretty wet winter. I did not have enough wood. So for spring the wife and I are going to build a new garage, cut more wood, put in the raised bed garden, cut more wood, weed clean and plant the flowerbeds, cut more wood, insulate the attic, cut more wood. You get the idea :)

PapaDave said:
Springtime could start tomorrow. I'd be fine with that. I'm still enjoying the fires though.

You're in luck then - I'm sure spring will be here Feb 2 because my new boiler will be installed that day.

What's wrong with your attic?

szmaine said:
PapaDave said:

You're in luck then - I'm sure spring will be here Feb 2 because my new boiler will be installed that day.

What's wrong with your attic?

Well, the slope is about 4/12, so getting down near the soffit area gets a little tight.
Whoever installed the insulation, stapled the batts up to the rafters, and also stuffed insulation down in the soffit area. No air flow. That leads to problems, and I'm trying to rectify
those so I can add more insulation. I never knew I was claustrophobic.
I'm sure I'll be ok to do the new Class A, just a little wary, I guess. It's at the other end of the house from the attic access.
I know, man up, right? :cheese:

Isn't Feb. 2 Groundhog Day? Never fails.

It's a royal PITA alright. Been avoiding mine too - not claustrophobic but multiple problems to be addressed before the insulation can go in. Gonna bite the bullet this spring too - before it gets to hot and the bats move back in. Think I'll document my misery and share it here - whining always helps with such things I find.

Yep, time man up - we'll be glad when it's done.

Better to do it when it's cool than when the sun turns it into an oven. In my younger days I spent many a workday in attics, on my belly in a tight place, sweating like crazy. Add insulation and mineral wool and you have my idea of hell. Glad I no longer do that kind of work.

I put soffit vents in about 3 years ago after the new roof and ridge vent got done.
Didn't check the attic situation. DOH!
I've reformulated my plan to do this from the outside. Then, I'll go into the attic to install the baffles and start on the insulation. I want to see how the cleared soffits affect the eave icing.
I'll git 'er dun.
I may be able to use a smaller stove if I can keep the heat IN the house.

BB, I still do a bit of work in crawl spaces occasionally, and have been in a couple where the floor joists were just about touching my nose.

BeGreen said:
In my younger days I spent many a workday in attics, on my belly in a tight place, sweating like crazy.

Geeez, no learing or drooling smiley...

Whaaaat? If you guys can.....

Status
Not open for further replies.