Who’s had a chimney fire with a modern EPA stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DriftWood said:
"Metal"

I almost swatted that bug!!
glad I wasn't the only one
also in nine years of burning wood I have never had a chimney fire and I did the installs on my stove and chimney it is a strait as an arrow 16.5' up off the stove top

I had small one last year. I posted it hear last year. The FD said it was more of the flue gases lighting off in the black double wall then a chimmey fire. what ever it was, it makes me very nervous when i see the temps raise. That night, I filled the box to Rim and I MEAN TO THE RIM! I let it burn perrty good then closed the air down to much or to fast, the fire was dying out so i gave it more air( thats where I make the mistake) when i did that temp on the black pipe went to 1600 and i could not bring it down. I had pulled the air damper CLOSED and shut the flue damper. I put a fan on flue to try to keeep it cool. I had all the family out plus my Mother -in law outside in the car. All the windows open because the smell was bad. by the time FD showed up it was cooled down to 500-600. It took a long time for the FD to show because wife called on cell phone and we live in one town but our mailing address is another town. What a mix up. So now I NEVER PACK it that full again. By the way I had clean the chimmey two weeks before. I clean my chimmey every month or so. if it safe to go on the roof i go up and clean it. I sleep better if i know its clean.

bbc557ci said:
I've been an insurance claims adjuster for about 10 years (Shshshsh..... don't tell anyone. We aren't all bad).

Welcome aboard and a question to a seasoned insurance expert. If a stove or fireplace is out of compliance by a bad install or neglect and has a chimney fire causing damage, would some companies balk about a payout?

Metal said:
You hit the nail on the head. If a system is properly installed (per manufacturer's installation instructions) it should be almost impossible to have a chimney fire. UL tests for the worst case scenario, which rarely if ever happens.

I think you mean impossible (maybe just really difficult) to set your house on fire? A contained chimney fire that does no damage is still a chimney fire, doesn't matter how you installed the hardware. Poor burning habits (smoldering) will line your chimney with flamable materials (creosote) regardless of your hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.