Who all is done burning til this Fall?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
on 24 hr burns now for another week anyhow..though they are calling for 70 Friday!

24 hour loads but still burning. 30's still at night, daytime temps are getting into the 50's but 50's outside when I need 70's inside equals something getting burned.

We're done-ish. Supply has dictated this!. I'm down to scraps of "worth burning" wood. So we're saving fires for nights they are necessary. It's warmer out side in the sun and there is lots of work to do out there so that's where we go to keep warm.

Still burning in the evenings; but smaller fires to warm up the rec room. It rained pretty good here yesterday and 95% of the snow is gone; again; I expect we will be burning occasionally through may.

Going to be 80* today so no fire last night and guessing tonight. Looks like highs of 50's next week, so not putting the wood away yet. At least plenty of wood left.

Well I have lied. The cold windy day yesterday got the better of the wife and I last night. We had to fire up the olé Buck one more time.
Looks like more of the same Mon. and Tues. night. That's OK, I've just about got the Dutchwest ready to go back in, for a little experimentation. >>

I finally have a bare spot in the yard!! Even though it is where one of my shoveled/snow blown paths is, I'll take it! The side roads are even bare and the melting rings around the trees in the woods are getting larger every day.

BUT...there will be a couple more weeks, easily, before I pull the fires. Honestly, will probably burn into May sometime.

I am done, or I want to be done, but I bet the Wifey will want a few more. I am almost done with the "Great firewood wall of China" for next years burn season along the back fenceline. :)

Reactions: Woody Stover
I'm done here in NC. Highs for the past week have been 60s and 70s, lows in the 50s and 40s. House has stayed around 66-69, which we can handle.
Now, the work on splitting and stacking is in full "Swing" (See what I did there?)

Nope. Not done. 24 degrees forecasted tonight. Just the pellet stove now though.

I have burned until June 9th 2 years ago.
Same here - hoping this winter doesn't exceed that. A small fire on the cool nights is nice, good way to clean up the yard scraps and uglies.

The side roads are even bare and the melting rings around the trees in the woods are getting larger every day.
That pretty much paints the picture here - some items are appearing from under the snow (my 45 gal burning barrel, etc.). Still can't see my utility trailer, but it can't be far away now.

Not me, it gets cold at night. Also the shed/workshop is cold in the morning!

Yup down to what we call flash fire season...it all depends of the daily high temp and the forecasted low temp. If the night time temps are going to be below 35 then I will light a fire and do a "lite reload" before bed, if the day time temps are in the 60's with 40's at night then no fire is needed, I get good morning sun which warms the place up nice. If its raining and in the 40's then I'll have a small fire just to make the place cozy, nothing crazy. I figure I'll keep the wood on the porch until the last weekend in April, then I should be wrapped up for the season. Kinda sad but onto the outdoor things like bbq's, mowing, gardening, and stuff, I love every season.

Reactions: Pennsyltucky Chris
Nope...Haven't burned past 2 days, but some lows in the 22-23 range are being called for later this weekend. grrrr. brrrrr.

Meh. Sometimes I like to have a fire on a cool May/June evening with the windows open....just because I like it.

35f last night, been running two little loads per day .. have gone through yet again all the wood brought inside.
April 9th this is the latest cold weather I can remember in Tulsa. supposed to be 85f high temp in a few days ...

Not done, but only night time fires now.

Going down to 35 ish here in Icey Hollow tonight, and that will continue for atleast the next week or so. . PE is getting a decent coal bed, but it will be 1/2 a load or so, and I'll wake up to 65 or so in the house. Good enough for me.

The stacks took quite a hit this year. Working on splitting all the too bigs, and have more fire wood coming in soon.

Tough, tough winter. Glad it's going bye bye.

Been using some super cedars lately for starting those evening fires and a few knock the chill out morning fires. Still having some chilly nights here in East TN and not really been all that warm through the day. Will probably be burning some until at least May I figure.

I'm done.... I think. Even if I get up in the morn and it's 60 in the house I'd overheat the place unless it's going to be under 30 all day. I'll let the furnace work a little now.

I have burned until June 9th 2 years ago. It isn't worth it though. It takes half a load to get the boiler and water good and hot. I think I would use a dollar a day to heat my house with these temps.

2 years ago?? That's when we had the earliest spring I can remember! The ice was completely off all the lakes in March that year! I never plow the cottage through winter, rather, I walk in...but that year, i was driving to it the second week of March with no issues. Had a cookout around mid-month with everyone sitting outside on the deck.

It was 24 degrees here this morning so we are still burning a load or 2 here and there. I stopped a little once in a while in March and dealt with a cold house due to the fact we were running out of good wood. Wish I was burning then because I still have about a half cord that wont get burned now. Cant believe I went over 6 cords this winter, but we burn 24/7 and dont put the propane on at all. It was a cold and snowy one.

I'm done. Went up on the roof yesterday and swept the chimney (Duratech double wall) down into the stove (Englander 17-vl). Burned probably about 2 full cords this winter and really didn't get all that much crud out so I must be burning dry wood at the right stove temp. Really straight forward to get the secondary burn tubes and the two baffle boards out to make the sweeping really easy. After the 1st year with the 17-vl I must say I'm really happy with it. No, you won't get an overnight burn with that small of a stove, but for a 720 square foot house you get all the heat you need. Also, no smoke to be seen when cruising away which is important in my urban neighborhood.

I keep thinking/hoping I'm going to be done soon, but we're still burning just about every day (one fire in the morning). Tonight the low is only 45 and high tomorrow around 60, if the sun comes out then I expect we won't need a fire tomorrow. High of 76 predicted for Monday, then two days later back down to freezing temps. Debating on whether I have enough wood in the house at this point to finish the season or not.

Burned just about 3 cords this winter which rather surprises me given the amount of cold. I have about a cord left over from my allocation so will be glad to leave it stacked until next fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.