Who are they kidding?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hardy_Boy

Sep 13, 2011
Lakes Region NH
The following is from a local stove dealers website

"WARNING!!! The big chain stores have started to sell wood pellets, and although their inexpensive price can be tempting, they can be risky. Unless you are familiar and confident with the pellets you are buying from the chain stores, beware; many of the tech calls we receive come from people who are burn pellets from these Big Chain stores."

"At ----- -- ---- we sell wood pellets we can stand behind. In the past we have discontinued certain pellets because we felt they no longer met our standards of a clean burning and high efficient wood pellet. We only sell quality pellets that we can account for."

Ok cool, I can understand this, don't want to sell junk pellets right?

And then you see the carry such fine brands as NEWP and Maines Choice........oh boy :)

Marketing at its finest sir!

The following is from a local stove dealers website

"WARNING!!! The big chain stores have started to sell wood pellets, and although their inexpensive price can be tempting, they can be risky. Unless you are familiar and confident with the pellets you are buying from the chain stores, beware; many of the tech calls we receive come from people who are burn pellets from these Big Chain stores."

"At ----- -- ---- we sell wood pellets we can stand behind. In the past we have discontinued certain pellets because we felt they no longer met our standards of a clean burning and high efficient wood pellet. We only sell quality pellets that we can account for."

Ok cool, I can understand this, don't want to sell junk pellets right?

And then you see they carry such fine brands as NEWP and Maines Choice........oh boy :)
I'll throw the challenge flag on this post. I was at this particular shop today buying some pipe to upgrade my venting. For full disclosure, I have purchased both of my Harman Stoves from them.
In fairness to them, you didn't cut and paste all of the wording they used when describing some box store pellets. It says: "Many of the pellets are physically too long, which creates a bridge in the hopper and as a result, stops feeding pellets. Another problem we have been seeing as of late is certain components in the firebox are actually deteriorating because of salt in these pellets."
It's true, with the exception of NEWP, they only sell higher end pellets. They currently have Vermonts, Curran Softwood, and MaXimum. They don't sell Maine's Choice and I don't believe they ever did. They have sold NEWP for nearly 20 years. It's their least expensive pellet. They've been through the good and the bad with them. As much bashing as NEWP gets here in the Pellet section, they really aren't that bad and they certainly aren't "junk". There are much worse out there and much better.
This particular stove shop didn't become the number one Harman shop in the entire country by selling junk. They are a top shelf family owned and operated, customer friendly operation. JMHO.

Reactions: Harman Lover 007
You can not fault a dealer for explaining the difference between his products and the competition's product.

http://fallonshomeandhearth.com/pellets/

Bill

Did they explain that the NEWP they sell are the exact same pellet that are being sold at the box stores? Nope.....they are trying to frighten the uneducated with their whole "warning" in bold letters.
To each their own in how they want to advertise their product. I personally would not buy something from somebody that was trying to use scare tactics to purchase their item.

And if they were really thing to compare their product to the box stores they would have made jars with all their products ash. But they did not, because the jar would have looked exactly the same when they got to the NEWP.

Since some of you are familiar with the location of this place then of course you know that there is a Lowes and HD right down the street that are both stocking NEWP in the form of GS, so yea maybe I should of been a little more blunt to the misinformed.

We know NEWP is bagging the same pellet in the GS bag, But do they know it? We are very informed here and some pellet dealers aren't as into it as we think.

The amount of ash(volume) in that jar is more likely to be Inferno. I doubt its NEWP's GS. They also didn't mention what size the jar is. What they "REALLY" missed is pellets aren't graded by ash volume, But by ash weight.

Last edited:
Reactions: IHATEPROPANE
Status
Not open for further replies.