Who burns 24/7?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
$40 a month power bills!! wow do you live there? Ours run near $100/month without any heat or ac useage.

My farm house on months that im not there will run around $30/month. All thats on in the house is a CFL on a timer to run 6-8 hours a day, 2-3 alarm clocks, a refridge and a freezer. Everything else is off including water heater!!

Yup, sure do. NO cfl's here, both of us get migraines and florecents of any type are just pure evil. We have the TV always plugged in, as well as modem, cable box and wireless router. Also, two plug in lamps (everything else is hardwired lighting) and the fridge. Fridge is a 1950's Norge. Stove is propane, a 1950's era Floyd Wells with standing pilot and no clock, so no electric usage there. We have a tankless water heater (propane) but it does have a power vent. Just two of us here and we usually only have one or two ceiling fan lights on and the TV at night, we have a laptop instead of a desktop. We have an energy star washer. Alarm clock is a battery model because when we moved in we didn't have electric in the bedroom, lol. I can't recall what we pay per KWH delivered now, but it isn't cheap (although it SHOULD be with the big hydro plant in Niagara Falls-all that power goes down state).

Yup, sure do. NO cfl's here, both of us get migraines and florecents of any type are just pure evil. We have the TV always plugged in, as well as modem, cable box and wireless router. Also, two plug in lamps (everything else is hardwired lighting) and the fridge. Fridge is a 1950's Norge. Stove is propane, a 1950's era Floyd Wells with standing pilot and no clock, so no electric usage there. We have a tankless water heater (propane) but it does have a power vent. Just two of us here and we usually only have one or two ceiling fan lights on and the TV at night, we have a laptop instead of a desktop. We have an energy star washer. Alarm clock is a battery model because when we moved in we didn't have electric in the bedroom, lol. I can't recall what we pay per KWH delivered now, but it isn't cheap (although it SHOULD be with the big hydro plant in Niagara Falls-all that power goes down state).

That sounds like the hydro at the Robert Moses power dam in Massena, NY. I do not remember the percent, but a huge portion of the power generated by the dam goes to New York city. The village of Massena has cheap electricity. A nice benefit for the folks there. And ALCOA.

Uh...ever see the jokes about Buffalo (like that new stupid Tabasco commercial...like anyone from Buffalo would use Tabasco instead of Franks, lol)
Haven't seen that one. But I gotta ask - do you guys really "put that #^!* on everything"? lol

Yes, we burn 24/7. When I stack the wood to dry I separate out the big pieces. I work from home so I burn the smaller pieces during the day and the big pieces at night. I keep the humungous pieces for really cold nights and the woodstove fan's still running in the morning. We have oil forced air heating which I have to use otherwise the fan above the shower gets condensation which trips the GFI. Burned 1/3 of a tank of oil last year just because of an excitable GFI! Well, ok, it gets cool in the dining room sometimes so it helps there too. Got a baby gate this year to keep the dog downstairs so we can open the bedroom doors to warm the bedrooms without having our gear chewed..

We find a big bonus on heating is to use curtains (drapes). With curtains open we find radiant heat loss knocks maybe 5-7f off the room temperature so we have double glazed windows with vinyl roller blinds and then lined curtains. Keep the heat in is an even better solution than generating it!

Pavesa

We burn 24/7. We are on rural electric and have a 3600sqft house. If I heat the house with the heat pump, electric bill runs around 450 a month.

Haven't seen that one. But I gotta ask - do you guys really "put that #^!* on everything"? lol

Lol...no. Personally, just wings. My DH will add it to pasta too, and his cat used to like the congealed stuff from the top of the bottle if you dabbed your finger on it.

We are planning on burning 24/7 this coming winter. We have been using a gas furnace for the past 10 years and just installed a Progress Hybrid. I am really looking forward to saving around $2000 per year at current gas prices.

Old thread. Closing it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.