Who burns pinon?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

D9H

Nov 24, 2015
Colorado
Don't worry, I won't tell anyone.

Just wondering if I'm the only one.

The gnarlier and pitchier, the better I say.

Pinon nuts, taste pretty good roasted. I used to eat them raw when I was a kid. The racks are from Colorado elk.

Don't worry, I won't tell anyone.

Just wondering if I'm the only one.

The gnarlier and pitchier, the better I say.
I do. Just cut some today to start in on next year's supply. .. Probably 3/4 of a cord. I love the smell.

Reactions: D9H
Out here in CO...Pinion is pretty darn good. If you've got a good supply...enjoy it. I wish I had a bunch.
Fairly long burn times, good heat, smooth burn with little popping or sparks.

Love pinion here. Only grows 7000 ft up. Seasons pretty fast, love the smell of the fresh cut stuff, the retail dealers have it here but i get fresh cut cords brought from utah, leave it on the patio and its like being up in the mountains.
My stacks wount be complete without it!

I have fully seasoned Almond, Some Oak, everybody throws the pinion on the fire here.

I cut and split couple cords standing dead pinion today. Just out of curiosity and because I've been a member here for a little while I put a moisture meter to it. Between 7 and 10% everywhere I checked
Now that I learned how to use my new Lopi stove it's burning all night and even keeping the glass clean!

Reactions: highanddryinco
Status
Not open for further replies.