Who Buys Switchgrass Briquettes?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schultzz

Hearth Supporter
Dec 22, 2008
Western PA
I am thinking of investing in machinery and equipment to produce briquettes and blocks from switchgrass. I haven't decided yet what I will do, but I was planning to have two kinds of briquettes. A heating briquette similar to Bio Bricks out of CT only my product would be made with 25% hardwood sawdust, 25% anthracite coal flower, and 50% switchgrass. It would have low ash and high heat capabilities. The second product would be 50% hardwood sawdust and 50% switchgrass for pizza ovens. We already have a firewood business and supply restaurants with cooking wood. My question is what do you think of this idea? Who might buy these products and what would be a good way to distribute them? Here in Western PA hardly anyone is familiar with the briquette craze that is happening on the east and west coasts, and in Europe and Asia.

We are going to start marketing a product similar to the BioFlamme log only one big difference. It will be made in the USA not out of country or another continent. We are also going to be looking at making products out of "green" natural ag fiber products. These will be made from completly recycled goods. They will be available for sale year round $140.00 per ton FOB central Il. What do ya'all think?

flatlander08 said:
We are going to start marketing a product similar to the BioFlamme log only one big difference. It will be made in the USA not out of country or another continent. We are also going to be looking at making products out of "green" natural ag fiber products. These will be made from completly recycled goods. They will be available for sale year round $140.00 per ton FOB central Il. What do ya'all think?

Please let us know when we can get some samples - I would be very interested in selling some at our shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.